The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Subways Off the Grid?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Subways Off the Grid? Posted: Aug 29, 2003 7:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Subways Off the Grid?
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Wired News points to some research on trains and fuel cells. The idea would be to get subways onto fuel cells - and off the grid. There's a basic problem with this, to my mind - cost/benefits. How often do the subways lose power? Not terribly often. What would be the cost of putting in a fuel cell based infrastructure? Pretty high, I'd guess. The question is, how would you prioritize that over other needs and problems - when the problem fixed by fuel cells is rare?

This is one of the sorts of problems that - to my mind - IT shops understand very badly. Over the last 7 years or so, there have been tons and tons of projects launched to replace the entire infrstructure of a business - from whatever it was to J2EE (and possibly .NET now). It's as if no one ever looked at the opportunity cost of that - how many other things could have been done - and probably a lot more quickly and cheaply - by simply adapting what they had instead? How many expensive consultants would never have been hired (only to be fired later when things went badly)?

Web Services has the potential to make such mistakes obsolete - instead of rewriting (with a high risk of failure) - simply add web services api's to what you have. It's a virtual certainty that such API's can be added to your existting applications, and the liklihood of success is far, far higher than in a full rewrite scenario. To my mind, the shops that pay attention to opportunity costs are helping their businesses. The ones that don't are creating a business drag

Read: Subways Off the Grid?

Topic: Wired discovers XP Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: up, down, up

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use