The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Why I drive an old car

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 24, 2006 7:48 AM by James Robertson

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Why I drive an old car Posted: Jul 24, 2006 7:48 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Why I drive an old car
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Every so often people look at the old car I drive (a 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage), and ask me why I haven't bought a new one. It only happened more when I had a new engine dropped in last year (I figured it was about 3 car payments, so it's now worth it, to my mind). Well, today's post by David Weinberger only convinced me more. He's complaining about his new Yaris only getting 24 mpg in "in town" driving.

Hmm. My Mirage gets 32-35 in town. I've no idea what it would get highway; I hardly ever drive it that way. As well, the Mirage is hardly roomy, but look at this shot of the Yaris' interior at Toyota's site:

Toyota Yaris

That's a sedan in name only; if you want to use your knees later, you'll sit in the front :) Heck, the Ford Windstar (Minivan) my wife drives gets 24-25 mpg. I think I'll drive my Mirage until it crumbles on me :)

Read: Why I drive an old car

Spencer Kormos

Nickname: skormos

Re: Why I drive an old car Posted: Jul 24, 2006 8:08 AM
Reply to this message Reply
I kinda know how you feel. I used to drive a 1978 Mercedes 240D. It was a Diesel with 140k miles on it! It had no pickup, but got great mileage, was really roomy and had terrific low-end torque. I eventually had to give it up, but I still miss it to this day.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: How many Active Participants? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Fighting Spam

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use