The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Linked items and SCC integration

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Chris Flaat

Nickname: cflaat

Chris Flaat is a development lead for Microsoft's Visual Studio product.
Linked items and SCC integration Posted: Aug 1, 2003 11:12 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Chris Flaat.
Original Post: Linked items and SCC integration
Feed Title: Chris Flaat's Weblog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/cflaat/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: I mainly discuss tips & tricks about VS 2002, VS 2003, and upcoming versions of VS.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Chris Flaat
Latest Posts From Chris Flaat's Weblog

Advertisement

A person named Blair commented on one of my prior entries about using linked files.  They mention that the integration of a project's linked files with source code control has some limitations, esp. when you link to files outside the current project directory.

I looked into this issue a bit, and I can state that this claim is, well, uh, shall we say...not entirely inaccurate.  :-)  However, it's not quite as bleak as one might think.  I talked with some people who understand this particular issue a lot better than me, and here’s a summary of what they told me.

In VS 2002 and VS 2003, when a project with linked items is added to source code control, VS goes through and calculates the closest common parent to all the files in the project, and that becomes the root of the project in VSS (we call it the “unified root”).  If later you try and link a new file, AND it’s under the existing unified root, it will be added to SCC.  (If it's not under the unified root, it will still be added as a linked file but won't be added to SCC.)

For example, let’s say you have a VB project in c:\My Visual Studio Projects\foo and you've added c:\boot.ini as a linked item.  If you then add that project to SCC, your unified root will map to c:\.  If you then add another file from somewhere under c:\ as a linked item then it should still get successfully added to SCC.  (However, if you try to add a linked file from another drive, e.g. under d:\, you can add it as a linked file but it can’t be added to SCC.  That’s just a limitation of the current SCC integration.)  The most important thing to understand is that when you do the first “Add to Source Control” operation, your initial unified root is set up.

If for some reason you really need a linked item from another drive, you could work around this by adding to your solution a new project that lives on the other drive, add the linked item to that project, and then add your whole solution (e.g. with one project on c: and one project on the d: drive) to SCC.

Bottom line: Where possible, the best thing to do is figure out ahead of time what linked files (and other projects) you need, and add them to your project before adding the whole project to SCC.  Obviously, you can’t always know that up front, but when possible this is the way to go.

If you already have a project under SCC and you really want to add an SCC-controlled linked item to it from somewhere outside your unified root, you could try to work around this by changing the unified root, but this is complex, risky (you could lose change history), and not really recommended unless you’re a really advanced VSS user.
A (somewhat lame) workaround is simply to avoid using SCC with linked files.  Put the file under the same directory as your other files, and you’re done.  If this is feasible, this is clearly the path of least resistance.

Personally, I use linked files only when I want to occasionally view a file that isn’t really “part of” my project, but still get syntax coloring, symbol browsing features, etc.
So, I hope this provides some useful information about how this stuff works, and suggests some ways to make linked files coexist better with source code control.  If you want to read more about linked items, this MSDN page is a good place to start.

Have a good weekend! -Chris

Read: Linked items and SCC integration

Topic: Forms, threading, and frustration Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Musical Scales with (n != 12) Notes

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use