The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Re: Am I the stereotypical VB Programmer?

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Sep 29, 2003 10:00 AM by Eric Mutta

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Frans Bouma

Nickname: fbouma

Frans Bouma is a senior software engineer for Solutions Design
Re: Am I the stereotypical VB Programmer? Posted: Aug 1, 2003 7:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Frans Bouma.
Original Post: Re: Am I the stereotypical VB Programmer?
Feed Title: Frans Bouma's blog
Feed URL: http://www.asp.net/err404.htm?aspxerrorpath=/fbouma/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Generator.CreateCoolTool();
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Frans Bouma
Latest Posts From Frans Bouma's blog

Advertisement

Roy writes some text about him wondering why someone "accused" him of being a stereotypical VB programmer. Now, why is accused between quotes? If you wonder why or think being called a 'stereotypical VB programmer' is a bad thing, I feel sorry for you. Being "accused" of being some stereotypical [insert a 3GL language here]-programmer by a random person X is nothing to worry about.

The reason why you shouldn't worry when someone calls you a "VB"-programmer or a "C"-drone or similar, is that the person calling you that name thinks that the language included in the name is a bad language or at least the people using that language are not up to par with the name caller when it comes to programming. Let them. If someone thinks he/she can judge your software development skills based on the language you use, that person is definitely not able to judge a programming language in general and therefor not able to judge the skills of the users using those languages.

So, Roy, if someone calls you a stereotypical VB-programmer, simply shrug. You get more done in less time using an editor that helps you more than any other editor on the planet and with a compiler that is faster than any C or C++ compiler out there.

That said, I want to dive into the interesting list of questions Roy asks in his blog. As a CS-graduate who was tortured for years with C, Pascal, Unix, vi and command-line compilers, I can hopefully answer some of them. Oh, before I dive in, I'd like to mention also that I used (and sometimes I still have to use) VB for years, mostly for COM libraries for n-tier applications. Today I solely develop in C# and don't like VB.NET very much, but don't read too much into that, it's more based on personal likes / dislikes than the VB.NET specs (although VB.NET lacks some functionality C# has)

The questions. The questions are Roy's, the answers my personal opinion / thoughts, so categorize those in the "for what's worth"-category. :)

• Background compile - Should there be no background compile in C#? Why?
    I've wondered the same thing and it bites me once or twice a day when I forget to recompile a library. However last year I did a big VB.NET project and I discovered that background compile hurts performance, plus it has a disadvantage that made me switch it off in VB.NET: when typing code, you do that against included / referenced compiled assemblies. When you change something in a referenced assembly, you shouldn't base code on that changed assembly until you've recompiled that code and you are sure the changes you've made are correct (at least compile-wise). So, semantically, background compile is not necessary, simply because you first have to recompile your projects which contain changes before you can base code on that changed code.
  • Case-insensitivity - Why is Case sensitivity important? If its so needed, how could other languages do without it? VB.NET-like Intellisense for enums and namespaces writing - Why should this not be?
    Case sensitivity is something that can be seen as a 'population divider': there is a large group who like it, there is also a large group who don't like it. Both groups base their opinion on arguments that are valid and make you wonder why the other group thinks the way they do. Case sensitivity is born from the fact that in C/C++ you have include files which can have constants which are defined upper-case. To avoid name clashes, case sensitivity makes it impossible to have name clashes between (local) identifiers and constants which are specified uppercase. C# (and also Java) is based on C++ and you clearly can see that the language designers wanted to make it as easy as possible for the C/C++ programmer to switch to C# (and Java). Case sensitivity makes these developers feel at home, at least they're not confronted with case insensitivity which they most of the time categorize as an aspect of languages which are used by the programmers which are not up to par with them, the C/C++ developers. There is another aspect of case sensitivity which makes it worth having, is that it makes sure each identifier uses the same casing anywhere in the sourcecode. This increases code readability.
  • Automatic creation of "()" braces on method calls - meaning that writing the following: MyMethod myParameter Turns into: MyMethod(myParameter) automatically.How is this productivity enhancement "not meant" to be in C#?
    Because when you have a method that is named the same as a variable in the same scope (OK, not an example of good programming, but still...) what should the editor do? Throw an error or think it's the method you're referring to? Also, it's good coding practise to specify the brackets, even when you do not specify a parameter. This clearly enhances readability and I find it an aspect of ugly code when someone doesn't specifies the () brackets in VB.NET because he doesn't have to (e.g.: ToString() definitely requires brackets, it's not a property, it's a method!)
  • With-like functionality VB.NET And this is bad because?
    'With' is a statement that is truly a readability-killer. It saves some typing, but it forces you to look very closely which object instance the with is specified for and thus which objects properties are mentioned inside the With-block. I find it a bad statement. In VB5 and VB6 I used it sometimes but it really makes code less readable when you have more than a few properties to access.

I personally think Microsoft has made a mistake by introducing VB.NET. The reason for this is that VB.NET creates a serious positioning problem: what's the real difference between C# and VB.NET besides some language definitions? Is one the real RAD tool and the other for the keyboard-lovers who like to do everything the hard way? Why does one have XYZ and the other does not and vice versa? I don't see it why they've created these problems in the first place. VB.NET doesn't have operator overloading, it forces you to type more texts when implementing an interface for example, all methods are virtual, it doesn't support casting but requires silly statements like CType() and it has weird language elements like 'Dim' and the worst of all: "_" at the end of a line. C# doesn't suffer from all of that (but has other silliness, don't worry: no fall through in switch/case but you have to specify 'break'.), so I think it's a legitimate question when you ask "If C# doesn't suffer from all that, why is VB.NET still there?"

If you look at the marketing-poop related to .NET and its languages, you'll see that C# is not positioned as the RAD language, VB.NET is. But isn't every developer interested in getting as much done in as less time with as less effort as possible but with the most flexibility? I therefor won't be surprised when Microsoft phases out VB.NET in the long run over C# simply because C# is the language of choice for Microsoft when they illustrate serious ways of using .NET (at least that's the feeling I get when I look at the Microsoft .NET MSDN material). Personally I'd love to see that to happen so Microsoft will focus on just C# as being the RAD tool and they then do not have to make decisions to create Unique Selling Points (USP's) for VB.NET and C# so they appeal to different groups; with one major language, the language can have all the bests of both worlds and will not suffer from the decisions which language is the RAD tool and which one is the serious language, something that is now a blur.

Read: Re: Am I the stereotypical VB Programmer?

Eric Mutta

Nickname: cranium

Re: Am I the stereotypical VB Programmer? Posted: Sep 29, 2003 10:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply
I think you may have things the wrong way round when you say "I personally think Microsoft has made a mistake by introducing VB.NET". VB.NET is a logical progression from VB6. The only thing being "introduced" here is C# which is a new language.

Furthermore, its the nature of C# that causes a positioning problem. One of the goals for C# was to create a language that is as powerful as C/C++ but as simple as VB. From a language design perspective, it is my opinion that C# makes no signigicant additions to the 'state of the art'. It has simply combined features of C/C++ and those of VB, then added tiny things here and there. Because of its close similarity to VB.NET (remember one of C#'s design goals) and the fact that it hasn't really added anything significant, C#'s place in the grand scheme of things is rather unclear.

Also, I would be wary of judging a language based on the presence or absence of features. Lacking operator overloading for instance, is not necessarily a bad thing Frans, because operator overloading has got a number of problems of its own. Given that VB.NET is rarely(?) used for numerical computing (where operator overloading would be most useful), its not that much of a loss (if its a loss at all).

Frans, you also mentioned that VB.NET doesnt have casting. If you are referring to C/C++ casts then I am definately glad that VB.NET doesn't have it. If, on the other hand, by "casting" you generally mean "converting", then casting is alive and well in VB.NET. Furthermore, in what way is CType() silly? If you state that as an opinion then I wont challenge it, but otherwise I ask you to consider this. Which is easier to explain:

var1 = CType(var2, TypeOfVar1)

or

var1 = (TypeOfVar1)var2;

There is no logic, no description, no explanation for why you do casting in C/C++/C# using that second notation - its just the way it is and you have to accept it. In the first notation, it is a lot easier to guess what's happening after being told what the CType() function does (which also guessable from the name). If you ask me, the 'silly' notation here is the C# one because it is unnecessarily esoteric (the above example is still simple - it gets worse). This has always been a great divider between the C family of languages and VB - C and company have a lot of 'clever' esoterica, whereas VB tries to keep it simple (although by the looks of things VB.NET will become quite a complex beast with templates and overloading due for the next release).

"If C# doesn't suffer from all that, why is VB.NET still there?" you ask. Well, one can invert the argument and point a whole load of problems in C# that VB.NET doesn't have and then ask the same question . It seems you are looking at things from a One-Size-Fits-All point of view - things just dont work that way :)

As for VB.NET being phased out, dont hold your breath. VB has been around for over a decade, has about 3 million(?) developers out there, has just got an upgrade and it makes some good money for MS - its not going anywhere anytime soon.

There's no need to worry, but if you really must, then worry about C#. Its still young, the developer base is small (but growing), its new but not a radical improvement, and although MS is quiet about it, C# seems to be a 'business weapon' against Java - and last time MS had a 'business weapon' against Java they created Visual J++ and everyone knows how that turned out :).

VB.NET works. C# works. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Therefore the world will keep turning :)

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Google plus MapPoint = GooPoint? Mapgle? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Think:

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use