The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
"Searching Conversations, Not Content" or "Is there a difference between CONTENT and PAGES?"

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Scott Hanselman

Nickname: glucopilot

Scott Hanselman is the Chief Architect at Corillian Corporation and the Microsoft RD for Oregon.
"Searching Conversations, Not Content" or "Is there a difference between CONTENT and PAGES?" Posted: May 21, 2004 11:36 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Scott Hanselman.
Original Post: "Searching Conversations, Not Content" or "Is there a difference between CONTENT and PAGES?"
Feed Title: Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com
Feed URL: http://radio-weblogs.com/0106747/rss.xml
Feed Description: Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com is a .NET/WebServices/XML Weblog. I offer details of obscurities (internals of ASP.NET, WebServices, XML, etc) and best practices from real world scenarios.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Scott Hanselman
Latest Posts From Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com

Advertisement

I was talking to a fellow at the recent Portland Nerd Dinner about my growing frustration with Google.  Certainly Google is great, blah blah, find anything, blah blah, touch the mind of God, blah blah.  But I'm just searching text without context. 

Sure, that text might be in a PowerPoint or PDF, but when my motherboard recently freaked out I googled for such things as "PERL Intel Motherboard" and "Intel Motherboard BIO Problems" - you get the idea, you've lived this a thousand times before.

After a while of NOT finding anything, I started being more directed.  This is where my Mom and many others breakdown.  There ARE things that google doesn't search OR advanced Google techniques that are tantamount to using a command shell. (filetype:pdf and site:intel.com leap to mind) 

So, I went straight to Intel and did the whole FAQ, Forums, Support MESS.  (Aside: Online support is quickly also becoming a joke.  TODO: Revolutionize Online Support by introducing an actually USEFUL Knowledge Base Search)  Then I tried various and sundry forums that Google isn't - for whatever reason - indexing. 

Then I tried Google Groups.  And here's the thing - is it more agonizing to find NOTHING about your problem or to find three threads that describe your problem EXACTLY...but the thread is just lying there.  Fallow.  Unanswered.  Flacid even.

So, I found another fellow who was having the identical problem.  Noone answered his calls though, as they were scribbled on the bathroom wall we call the Usenet.

Then I realized what I REALLY wanted to search was Conversations/Thoughts/Comments.  I didn't really expect to find a PAGE that was called "Upgrading the Intel 865PERL Motherboard BIOS from Revision P12 to Revsion P15 and watching it fail" because noone writes pages like that (anymore.)  I wanted to search the buzz, the scuttlebutt, the scoop, the thoughts.

The Usenet threaded discussion model isn't working anymore, and non-google indexed blog comments aren't helping the problem, they are distributing it.  There's a problem out there and a whole slew of "conversations" and collective knowledge that need to be indexed and someone is going to have a license to print money if they solve it.

Read: "Searching Conversations, Not Content" or "Is there a difference between CONTENT and PAGES?"

Topic: What talks should you go to at TechEd? Here's my list. Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Free SQL Server/MSDE tools

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use