The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Enabling/Disabling AutoRun from your .NET application...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Duncan Mackenzie

Nickname: duncanma

Duncan Mackenzie is the Visual Basic Content Strategist at msdn.microsoft.com
Enabling/Disabling AutoRun from your .NET application... Posted: May 13, 2004 9:50 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Duncan Mackenzie.
Original Post: Enabling/Disabling AutoRun from your .NET application...
Feed Title: Code/Tea/Etc...
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/duncanma/rss.aspx
Feed Description: Duncan is the Visual Basic Content Strategist at MSDN, the editor of the Visual Basic Developer Center (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic), and the author of the "Coding 4 Fun" column on MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/using/columns/code4fun/default.aspx). While typically Visual Basic focused, his blogs sometimes wanders off of the technical path and into various musing of his troubled mind.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Duncan Mackenzie
Latest Posts From Code/Tea/Etc...

Advertisement

I answer quite a few questions on the forums on GotDotNet, and sometimes those answers are interesting enough (in my opinion) to be exposed to a larger audience.... Coding this particular one caused Brian Johnson to say... "cool", so it seems worth posting about here :)

The question was (paraphrased) "How do I stop AutoRun from happening while my app is running and the user puts in a CD?", and the answer is that if your app is the active application, then you can listen for and respond to a certain Windows Message (QueryCancelAutoPlay) and choose to cancel the AutoRun/AutoPlay action for that particular moment (the next CD inserted will result in the message being sent again, and your code gets to choose once again whether or not to cancel the event). Only one Win32 API call is required, RegisterWindowMessage, and overall it is pretty simple code. More details on the underlying functionality is available on MSDN.

Not complicated, but neat enough.... and definitely something I'm going to add to my musicxp system.

Demo app with source available on my personal site

Read: Enabling/Disabling AutoRun from your .NET application...

Topic: Simsa event: "Trends in IT" Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Wifi radar for Pocket PC

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use