The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Darrell Norton

Nickname: dnorton

Darrell Norton is a consultant for CapTech Ventures.
Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions Posted: Apr 21, 2004 8:50 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Darrell Norton.
Original Post: Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions
Feed Title: Darrell Norton's Blog
Feed URL: /error.htm?aspxerrorpath=/blogs/darrell.norton/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Agile Software Development: Scrum, XP, et al with .NET
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Darrell Norton
Latest Posts From Darrell Norton's Blog

Advertisement

Question:
How do I configure things so that I can get proper code highlighting when I have a file that is a standard format (XML, or SQL) but has an alternate extension (.DNN, .SqlDataProvider)?

Answer:
Edit the registry (Warning: This is dangerous!  Backup the registry first!  I take no responsibility for any damage this may cause).  Also, you need to change 7.1 if you are not using Visual Studio 2003:

Under this subkey:  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Languages\File Extensions], add a new key for whatever file extension you want to add syntax highlighting for (ie, .DNN or .SqlDataProvider).  It should show up as a little folder icon.

For the default REG_SZ, change the value to equal the GUID for the file extension you want to copy (ie, for .SqlDataProvider use the same GUID as for .sql).  Copy any other DWords, values, etc. (just copy everything from the key of the extension you want to copy).

This Blog Hosted On: http://www.DotNetJunkies.com/

Read: Get Visual Studio syntax highlighting for alternate file extensions

Topic: Static locals are cool Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Where are the groupies?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use