The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Mickelson Wins 1st Major Championship!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Doug Thews

Nickname: dougthews

Doug Thews is a software developer/manager for D&D Consulting Services with 18+ years of experience
Mickelson Wins 1st Major Championship! Posted: Apr 11, 2004 10:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Doug Thews.
Original Post: Mickelson Wins 1st Major Championship!
Feed Title: IlluminatiLand
Feed URL: http://apps5.oingo.com/apps/domainpark/domainpark.cgi?client=netw8744&s=JETBRAINS.COM
Feed Description: A technology blog for people enlightened enough to think for themselves
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Doug Thews
Latest Posts From IlluminatiLand

Advertisement

Congrats to Phil Mickelson (an ASU alumn, just like me!) for winning his 1st Major championship

My Dad & I have been going back and forth about the current World Golf rankings, and this just seals it for me. Tiger comes nowhere near the lead and is now 0 for his last 7 Major championships (and by all expert accounts is actually regressing - yes, getting worse). Yet, he's still considered the #1 ranked golfer in the world - but it's only because golf uses a 3 year window for counting stats & wins. Hell, why not go back a ways and count Jack Nicklaus' green jacket in 1986 while we're at it? Maybe he's in the top 10??? Ridiculous!!!!

There are so many golfers that have been playing MUCH BETTER than Tiger over the past year. When you think of the world's best golfer, you're not thinking of the last decade, or even of the past 5 or 3 years. It's right now!

So, this week in my spare time I'm going to come up with a fair & equitable world golf ranking system that doesn't HOSE golfers like Mike Weir, Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Kenny Perry (he won 3 times last year - Tiger didn't), and a host of others. And my major piece of logic for this formula is that a golfer who has 2 wins (including a Major) and 7 top-10 finishes by the time the Masters is completed, should be ranked higher than Tiger Woods in a ranking system that is supposed to show the CURRENT rank of golfers on tour, and not how they've done over the past 3 or 5 years.

I can tell you that I'll use a 1 year rolling window so that wins throughout the year count, but as the wins roll toward the end of the window, they'll end up counting a tad less (maybe 90% of a wins value within the past 2-3 months). I'll also provide a multiplier for Major championships so that they end up counting a little more than regular PGA tour victories.

Hopefully I'll have more by the end of next weekend. Until then (when my rankings & formula come out), I'm counting Phil Mickelson as the world's #1 golfer right now based on his 2 wins (including The Masters), and his 7 top-10 finishes this year alone. We'll see how it works out.

Read: Mickelson Wins 1st Major Championship!

Topic: Jay Bazuzi discusses the 'Rename' Refactoring in some detail... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: MVP Summit Pictures

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use