The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
My entry to the Phraser compo

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Frans Bouma

Nickname: fbouma

Frans Bouma is a senior software engineer for Solutions Design
My entry to the Phraser compo Posted: Apr 7, 2004 9:24 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Frans Bouma.
Original Post: My entry to the Phraser compo
Feed Title: Frans Bouma's blog
Feed URL: http://www.asp.net/err404.htm?aspxerrorpath=/fbouma/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Generator.CreateCoolTool();
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Frans Bouma
Latest Posts From Frans Bouma's blog

Advertisement

The1 has posted my entry to his Phraser programming competition here. It's in C# and shows some basic techniques like clever usage of a hashtable and recursion. A list of all entries to the compo can be found here. Competitions are fun, it keeps the mind fresh .

My algorithm is based on encoding words as digit sequences and then matching the sequences with the phone number at hand. I first thought an algorithm which calculates all permutations of the phone number in characters which would then be compared with a word list would be more efficient, but a fast calculation showed more than 11,000 different permutations had to be calculated each time. An average human knows roughly about 8,000 words (or less) so a wordlist would be more appropriate. Although I learned from my years in the demoscene that precalculation is key to be efficient in some algorithms, it is also key which precalculation you perform.

Read: My entry to the Phraser compo

Topic: Regular Expressions for UK Formats Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: MVP Summit Photo Blog

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use