The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Re: Presentations: Balancing Slides and Code

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Sascha Corti

Nickname: sascha

Sascha Corti is a developer evangelist for Microsoft in Switzerland.
Re: Presentations: Balancing Slides and Code Posted: Mar 22, 2004 12:39 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Sascha Corti.
Original Post: Re: Presentations: Balancing Slides and Code
Feed Title: Console.WriteLine("Hello World");
Feed URL: http://www.corti.com/WebLogSascha/blogxbrowsing.asmx/GetRss?
Feed Description: A technology blog with a focus on the .NET framework, the Visual Studio .NET tools and the Windows server platform with of course the normal weblog-noise on what's happening in the industry and reviews of the latest geeky gadgets.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Sascha Corti
Latest Posts From Console.WriteLine("Hello World");

Advertisement

Metablogging: Tim writes about his optimal target ratio of 70% code and 30% slides in presentations. For a long time I too replaced slides with code until one day Urs and I tried to do presentations with almost no slides at all. Result: mediocre marks. Why? I think that by building a presentation by mostly sticking to code, it gets very tough for people to follow once you loose them. (for either reason - the may be inattentive for a moment or the program being written simply is too alien for them)

My personal optimum now is to divide the topic into many small logic units, each containing one or two explanatory slides (few text and many logical diagrams) and then to do a short and simple demo that anyone can follow (the audience may always contain non-developers) and that proves how the explained sub-topic works, preferably built from scratch or even building on the previous demo.

If a complex demo was to be included in the speech, I would put it in the very end so that subject-savvies may see something new and that people new to the matter don't get shocked if I lost them (after all, it's the end of the presentation).

Read: Re: Presentations: Balancing Slides and Code

Topic: Windows XP SP2 - technical preview, Ice Hotel Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 1

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use