The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
What's Wrong with Elections?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Doug Thews

Nickname: dougthews

Doug Thews is a software developer/manager for D&D Consulting Services with 18+ years of experience
What's Wrong with Elections? Posted: Mar 21, 2004 12:04 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Doug Thews.
Original Post: What's Wrong with Elections?
Feed Title: IlluminatiLand
Feed URL: http://apps5.oingo.com/apps/domainpark/domainpark.cgi?client=netw8744&s=JETBRAINS.COM
Feed Description: A technology blog for people enlightened enough to think for themselves
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Doug Thews
Latest Posts From IlluminatiLand

Advertisement

I was posting on a thread awhile back over on James Avery's blog about politics and the current elections, and while I didn't agree with some of the stuff, I understood other people's opinions.

Anyway, I took a week to think it over and I finally understand the root of my problems with the current electoral process:

1. Why is it that we have to take 2-3 months to hold state-by-state primary elections? By the time a state like Texas gets to vote, the election may be over - eliminating the value of a person's vote. And changing dates, just changes the state that's being de-valued. Why in the world can't we just hold a vote over a single evening? Certainly as electronic voting becomes more common-place, this is going to have to get serious consideration. AND PLEASE, stop the networks from reporting polls until everyone has closed.

2. Can we get rid of the electoral process? A lot of people say that it makes the vote more fair by looking out for the little states, but the more I think about it the more I disagree. A vote should count as 1 against the total number of votes being cast. It's the only fair way. But, the electoral college process says that one vote can mean more than another.

Here's an example. 500 voters in Texas decide to vote Democrat, even though their state is traditionally Republican. Their votes are drowned out and really never count as the the 1 person, 1 vote (democratic) process says they should. As a matter of fact, these votes may NEVER HAPPEN because the voters see the futility of their effort. What you're telling these votes is that their votes really don't matter, just because they happen to live in an area that differs (in great numbers) from their beliefs.

What we need is to get back to 1 person, 1 vote. A vote in Maine has to be as valuable (but not more) than a vote in California. It shouldn't matter that the person was in California casting the vote, and that person in Maine needs to be differentiated. They're 2 people, and their individual votes need to count as 1 out of the TOTAL number of votes in the election. Anything else is just not fair.

OK, that's the end of my rant. And while you won't be able to change my mind on this subject, you're welcome to add your opinions here (please keep it clean).

Read: What's Wrong with Elections?

Topic: .NET Nightly 134 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: FreeTextBox 2 be careful, not so cool !

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use