The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
There's nothing like a nice control to make development easier...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Duncan Mackenzie

Nickname: duncanma

Duncan Mackenzie is the Visual Basic Content Strategist at msdn.microsoft.com
There's nothing like a nice control to make development easier... Posted: Mar 14, 2004 7:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Duncan Mackenzie.
Original Post: There's nothing like a nice control to make development easier...
Feed Title: Code/Tea/Etc...
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/duncanma/rss.aspx
Feed Description: Duncan is the Visual Basic Content Strategist at MSDN, the editor of the Visual Basic Developer Center (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic), and the author of the "Coding 4 Fun" column on MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/using/columns/code4fun/default.aspx). While typically Visual Basic focused, his blogs sometimes wanders off of the technical path and into various musing of his troubled mind.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Duncan Mackenzie
Latest Posts From Code/Tea/Etc...

Advertisement
I'm just playing around with an internal application, just a tool that hits our internal web services for article ratings (you know, the little box that says "7 out of 9" next to MSDN articles...) and displays the results in a grid. Well, there are a lot of things I've been hoping to add to the Windows Forms Data Grid, and while I've done quite a few of them (3 or 4 custom column types) I've never gotten around to adding the really cool stuff.... but by using someone else's grid, I get all of that functionality for free. I've been a big Janus fan since before .NET... but I never used it in a real project before, since I had already purchased the excellent "TrueDB Grid" for VB5/6 and ... well... once you've paid for a grid that works well, there is little incentive to try out another one. Anyway, I grabbed the trial edition of Janus's .NET controls and I have to say that I'm impressed... very nice stuff feature wise, and as graphically appealing as I have always thought from looking at their demos.

I especially like the grouping features, which work a lot like Outlook... and the Field Chooser (shown in the picture above) which knows about all of the available fields from the data source and lets you pick and choose which ones to display in the grid. It doesn't automatically appear though, but it was easy to add. I just created a context menu with a single item "Show Field Chooser" and a teeny bit of code in it (Me.ratingsGrid.ShowFieldChooser())

Anyway, I'm going to get back to coding, but I thought I'd post my thoughts on this....

I hope everyone carefully considers the build vs buy decision when they are looking at their UI requirements.... it is often a very cost-effective choice to pick up a control or two... and, on that note.... check out the VB Control Gallery that appears to have grown out of the Visual Basic Resource Kit.

Read: There's nothing like a nice control to make development easier...

Topic: Your Vote Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: MindJet MindManager 5.1 - Pen Enabled!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use