The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Laptop Hard Drive enclosure

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Avery

Nickname: james615

James Avery is a .NET pimp
Laptop Hard Drive enclosure Posted: Mar 12, 2004 1:44 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by James Avery.
Original Post: Laptop Hard Drive enclosure
Feed Title: .Avery Blog
Feed URL: /blog/Install/BlogNotConfiguredError.aspx
Feed Description: .NET and everything nice
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by James Avery
Latest Posts From .Avery Blog

Advertisement

A couple weeks ago my HP laptop croaked on me, and I refuse to pay half the cost of the original hardware to fix it. (Money better spent on a tablet in the future). So I was stuck with a broken laptop which happened to contain a hard drive with tons of essential data on it. My first instinct was to drop it in one of my other two laptops, but for some reason XP would not start in the other laptops. (even Safe Mode)

The solution was to pick up this device called a "Portable 2.5" External Enclosure". Basically it is a little device that you drop the 2.5" HDD into, and then you can read and write to it using just your USB port. Now, I know what you are saying... I could have picked up any number of cheaper devices to get the data off of this hard drive. The benefit of this thing is that after I got my data off of the hard drive I can now use this drive as a way to backup data from my laptop. It works off of USB power and can run at USB 2.0 speeds. (I only have 1.1 now though) I prefer something like this because I can easily upgrade or replace the hard drive independently of the rest of the device, as opposed to an all in one device.

I can't find the exact product that I bought online, but it was something like this.

-James

Read: Laptop Hard Drive enclosure

Topic: Yukon and Whidbey: a marriage not worth fixing Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Hardware-based Byte-code Interpreters: Are they all they are cracked up to be?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use