The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
On Digital Music

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Avery

Nickname: james615

James Avery is a .NET pimp
On Digital Music Posted: Feb 29, 2004 11:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by James Avery.
Original Post: On Digital Music
Feed Title: .Avery Blog
Feed URL: /blog/Install/BlogNotConfiguredError.aspx
Feed Description: .NET and everything nice
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by James Avery
Latest Posts From .Avery Blog

Advertisement

I am finally take the big digital leap. For the last 5 years or so I have been listening to MP3s, either downloaded or ripped, but I have not fully committed to digital. I still take CDs in the car with me everywhere I go, I also use CDs quite a bit at home as only have a couple handfuls of them ripped to various computers around the house. But lately I have decided that it is time for me to give up the CDs, I will still buy them, but I want to rip them right after I buy them and have them available wherever I go.... so I have to figure out what I need to make all that possible.

1) A server with MP3's on it that I can access from any computer in the house. This is easy, what kind of geek doesn't have a spare server with an 80 GB hard drive lying around?

2) Something to carry around and use in my car, for this I am leaning towards a nice 40GB Ipod... I really have not found anything else that compares in size and usability.

Now it comes down to what format I should use, more specifically what bitrate. I am pretty set on sticking with MP3, I know that I want to stay away from WMA or ACC because I don't want to have to rip 500 CDs more than once. I know that all the devices for the next 5 years or so will support MP3, it is by far the safest of the formats. (Who knows after 5 years) But I have to settle on a suitable bit rate, I want something that will sound nice on a home stereo, but also something that is small enough that I can fit a bunch of stuff on the Ipod. I never thought about it that much before, but I really really don't want to rip these more than once if I can avoid it.

What I have been looking for is a program that will rip songs in two formats at the same time, as I would love to have 160kbps for the Ipod and 256kbps for the home system. I have heard that some tools, like MusicMatch, will convert your songs on the fly when moving them to a mobile device, but I wonder how well that works. If I can't find a tool to do it automatically for me I faced with the task of ripping each of my CDs twice, which I guess would be ok, but because how most tools work it would be a PITA. The other alternative is to rip them all at 192kbps, but then I get screwed on both ends.

Anyone have any experience with applications converting on the fly? What bitrate is enough for you?

I ran across a couple cool sites when looking into this:

MP3 Bitrate Comparisons

Making your own MP3 Files

And no I am not trying to start the argument over MP3 vs. WMA vs. ACC again, it is not an argument in my mind. One will work on anything I buy, the others will not.

-James

Read: On Digital Music

Topic: Radio Lovers Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A chapter from my KickStart VB.NET book is up on Code Project

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use