The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Architectural Quality - and risk

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Udi Dahan

Nickname: udidahan

Udi Dahan is The Software Simplist
Architectural Quality - and risk Posted: Feb 17, 2004 6:45 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Udi Dahan.
Original Post: Architectural Quality - and risk
Feed Title: Udi Dahan - The Software Simplist
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/UdiDahan-TheSoftwareSimplist
Feed Description: I am a software simplist. I make this beast of architecting, analysing, designing, developing, testing, managing, deploying software systems simple. This blog is about how I do it.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Udi Dahan
Latest Posts From Udi Dahan - The Software Simplist

Advertisement

Following Michael Platt's great post "Architectural Quality" and the thread of comments, I just had to add my 2 cents. For those of you that already know me, you know my 2 cents quickly gathers interest =) Make sure you read his post before mine - for context.

Architecture should not be composed of objects. Objects are too fine-grained of an abstraction for expressing architecture. This is why the layered architecture became so prevalent. There was a need to split the architecture along planes that were larger than objects. But I'm sure that you know all this =)

Therefore, I think that most of the OO metrics are less useful at the architectural level. I guess that the reason I like SOA so much is that the service is a more useful abstraction than a layer for the simple reason that it is a business abstraction and not a technological one. That way, it's possible to tie metrics ( ie. risk in the system ) to specific business areas.

IMHO, a business driver would be much more interested in getting a risk analysis directly tied to business capabilities than to technical ones. Yes, its possible to calculated the business side from various technical risks, but it's much more difficult, and less acuruate. I mean, lets say the cyclomatic complexity of the DAL is high relative to all other layers in the system, how are you going to translate that into business risk ?

Anyway, glad to see that the architectural quality issue is beginning to get some attention. Up until now, people were saying "let's just use an N-tier architecture" without any thought of how well it fit. Nobody measured to see if it fit, for the simple reason that there were no metrics. I'd really like to see some metrics come out at the architectural level.

What are your thoughts ? What is "architectural quality" ? Is there even such a thing ? How would you measure it ?

Read: Architectural Quality - and risk

Topic: Geek Notes 2004-02-14 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: ReSharper: IDEAs come to VS.Net

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use