The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
SECSYM: Security Symposium IV

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Tim Sneath

Nickname: timsneath

Tim Sneath is a .NET developer for Microsoft in the UK.
SECSYM: Security Symposium IV Posted: Oct 31, 2003 3:05 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Tim Sneath.
Original Post: SECSYM: Security Symposium IV
Feed Title: Tim Sneath's Blog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/tims/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Random mumblings on Microsoft, .NET, and other topics.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Tim Sneath
Latest Posts From Tim Sneath's Blog

Advertisement

Managed code is safer code! The following function is a C# analogue of a previous fragment:

private void CopyStuff(string data)
   {
      char[] buffer = new char[128];
      data.CopyTo(0, buffer, 0, data.Length);
      // do other stuff
   }

If the output buffer is too small in the above scenario, the CLR will simply throw an exception.

Does that mean that all input can be trusted in managed code? Certainly not. For example, ASP.NET provides some built-in protection against cross-site scripting attacks: if you entered some JavaScript code into a textbox, with code in a button to display the text in a label, and ran this, ASP.NET would throw an exception. The mitigations are not absolute, however. The Page directive includes an option ValidateRequest="False" which switches this off, for instance. As ever, you should verify all input data before trusting it. Remember the defender's dilemma: you might not have thought of all the potential attack scenarios.

Another example of where you need to be careful in managed code is remoting, which has no built-in authentication or encryption support. One solution is to use HTTP channel to leverage the built-in sinks. SQL injection attacks are problematic in many applications too: using stored procedures with parameters and validating the input data are both approaches to deal with the problem.

One esoteric problem is the Turkish İ problem. Turkish has four letter Is: I, İ, ı and i. In Turkish, UC("file") == "FİLE". This introduces some subtle bugs, such as the following:

// Do not allow file:// URLs
   if (url.ToUpper().Left(4) == "FILE") return ERROR;
   getStuff(url);

This shows how hard it is to validate input data!

Read: SECSYM: Security Symposium IV

Topic: InfoBits from PDC II Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Now I know how Paul McCartney must have felt...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use