The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
PDC - PreCon Session - .NET The Smart Client Perspective (Part 1)

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Peter G Provost

Nickname: pprovost

Peter G Provost is a Solution Architect for Interlink Group in Denver, CO.
PDC - PreCon Session - .NET The Smart Client Perspective (Part 1) Posted: Oct 26, 2003 12:32 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Peter G Provost.
Original Post: PDC - PreCon Session - .NET The Smart Client Perspective (Part 1)
Feed Title: Peter Provost's Geek Noise
Feed URL: /error.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Technology news, development articles, Microsoft .NET, and other stuff...
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Peter G Provost
Latest Posts From Peter Provost's Geek Noise

Advertisement

Couldn't sleep this morning. With the change in daylight savings time, and me travelling one hour back, my brain thought it was 8:30AM when it was only 6:30AM . No biggie, I was able to connect to both my work and home email accounts and make sure I was all caught up.

After a quick breakfast, I headed down to the lobby to catch the PDC shuttle. Guess what? I just missed it. 15 minute wait...

Big ol' buss shows up and I get on with a few others who (I think) were speaking Portugese. Not 100% sure, but I don't think it was Spanish. The bus dropped us off and in I went. Checkin took about 5 minutes. They gave me tons of crap... a backpack full of crap in fact. (I haven't really looked at it yet. More on that later tonight.)

Walked about a mile inside the LA Convention Center before I found the room for Chris Sells' PreCon session .NET - The Smart Client Perspective. On the way there, I was surprised to see hundreds of tables with ethernet cables on them (and switches under them). Very cool. I also saw a bunch of 8 foot tall towers with 802.11b WAPs on them. Again cool.

Got settled in the PreCon room and spent 5 minutes or so getting my machine up on the wireless network. (I had it disabled because of a BSOD that happens at my office.) Right about then Chris and Rocky got started.

Chris is an excellent speaker and Rocky plays a good straight guy to Chris' funny guy. They made tons of jokes about VB (Rocky is a VB guy and Chris is a C++/C# guy). They started out with a quick introduction to WinForms. They created a WinForm by hand (as opposed to using the Wizard). Then they explained the “scary block of code” (the InitializeComponent method that allows the VS.NET designer to work). Showed events, delegates, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. I learned some interesting VB-specific details that I was generally aware of, but didn’t really know… specifically using the Handles keyword to hook an event handler up to an event. Interesting, but I would have to say I’m not a big fan. I like to have all of my event hookup code in one place so it is easy for me to find. When you use Handles, you have to scan your code looking for event handlers (unless you are a point-and-click person, in which case there is probably some IDE feature to help you here).

Surprisingly, Chris actually said, “I like that stuff,” in regards to the Handles keyword. It is one of those things, like so many things in VB, that seem like such a nice idea at first, but I really think that it will lead to a nightmarish mess in projects of any decent size. My two cents…

That's enough for one post. More in a bit.

Read: PDC - PreCon Session - .NET The Smart Client Perspective (Part 1)

Topic: C# Spec 2.0 and Dev Center enhancements Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: New C# Language specs

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use