The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Improving Performance of WinForms Apps

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Tim Sneath

Nickname: timsneath

Tim Sneath is a .NET developer for Microsoft in the UK.
Improving Performance of WinForms Apps Posted: Oct 24, 2003 6:35 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Tim Sneath.
Original Post: Improving Performance of WinForms Apps
Feed Title: Tim Sneath's Blog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/tims/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Random mumblings on Microsoft, .NET, and other topics.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Tim Sneath
Latest Posts From Tim Sneath's Blog

Advertisement

We have an internal application called Headtrax that allows Microsoft employees to handle common HR tasks (such as hiring new staff, name and address changes, team restructuring and other database queries). In the past, this application used to be web-based (ASP), but has more recently been upgraded to a .NET Windows Forms application, allowing for far greater interactivity and integration with other apps (you can create a Visio diagram or Excel spreadsheet out of an orgchart, for instance).

Over the last few months, some of the CLR perf team have been looking at this application, in particular with a view to improving the startup time - something that can sometimes be an issue for WinForms apps. The results of their study can be found buried deeply on GotDotNet, and make for interesting reading.

Some of the lessons learnt might seem obvious (use asynchronous, rather than synchronous web service calls), but others are quite interesting (such as a comparison of the performance of GACed components versus local components, and creating a bootstrap exe to get things kicked off as soon as possible).

Worth a read if you're building WinForms applications today and want some tips on improving their performance, anyway. (Thanks to Nigel for the tip.)

That's my last post for the weekend - for the next week, get ready for an avalanche of session notes from the PDC! I'll try and upload my notes several times a day, so check back regularly from Monday.

Read: Improving Performance of WinForms Apps

Topic: Tickets to PDC on Ebay Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I think I've found a music service I can use...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use