The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Software versus Services

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Randy Holloway

Nickname: randyh

Randy Holloway is a developer and writer focused on enterprise software.
Software versus Services Posted: Oct 16, 2003 10:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Randy Holloway.
Original Post: Software versus Services
Feed Title: Randy Holloway's Weblog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/rholloway/rss.aspx
Feed Description: Commentary on Yukon, the CLR, and related technologies interspersed with personal opinion.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Randy Holloway
Latest Posts From Randy Holloway's Weblog

Advertisement
When I had the chance to ask Steve Ballmer a question, the thing that was on my mind was the recent product liability case against Microsoft that has received some publicity. So I asked Steve the following questions. "What's your vision of how software updates will be handled in three to five years? Will updates be compulsory as part of licensing agreements? Would that be good or bad?" His answer was that he wanted to do what was right for customers, and he doesn't see the liability issues as a motivating factor. Good answer, but I think he and I both skirted the real issue. The real issue is that reliable software needs to be provisioned as a service, not a product. Think about this. When something goes wrong with your telephone, does the telephone company ask your permission to fix it? Of course not. Until we get serious about treating software under a service model, we'll continue to "slowly die a death from a thousand papercuts", the papercuts coming in the form of a vicious cycle of exploits, patches, and the human error factor in keeping our systems secure (or insecure). I'm realistic. A services model for software delivery won't eliminate security problems completely, but at least this shift in thinking would centralize the accountability. With four critical updates coming out today, surely we can do a better job here.

Read: Software versus Services

Topic: ASP.NET and next stop Cleveland...thanks INETA Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: ActiveSync 3.7.1 Released

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use