The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Steve Ballmer at the CIO Summit

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Randy Holloway

Nickname: randyh

Randy Holloway is a developer and writer focused on enterprise software.
Steve Ballmer at the CIO Summit Posted: Oct 16, 2003 8:51 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Randy Holloway.
Original Post: Steve Ballmer at the CIO Summit
Feed Title: Randy Holloway's Weblog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/rholloway/rss.aspx
Feed Description: Commentary on Yukon, the CLR, and related technologies interspersed with personal opinion.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Randy Holloway
Latest Posts From Randy Holloway's Weblog

Advertisement
Right out of the gate at the CIO Summit, Microsoft assumed the role of being their own worst critic. In light of the security concerns over the past year, this makes a lot of sense. I have an appreciation for the approach that they took in communicating about the security problems. If you don't critically analyze your performance in an area, it is impossible to learn and change behavior. Steve Ballmer's main point is that Microsoft must do a better job of helping customers to secure their IT infrastructures without slowing down technology innovation. To quote Steve, he said "we're not living up to your expectations, but we have less vulnerabilities than virtually any other system available." But no excuses were being made, and there was a real sense that Microsoft takes this problem very seriously. They also claim to recognize that they need to do more. Based on the talk, I think they're taking a balanced approach. They will continue to focus on new products but get better preventive measures in place for product engineering to mitigate the introduction of vulnerabilities into their software. Steve also talked about the issues with both new systems and "down-level systems". Microsoft is trying to continue to support older versions of Windows and to ensure that they can be secured, but there are real limits that actually affect customers. During the Q&A, one customer talked about upgrading a few hundred Windows NT workstations (by 2005!), and their concern about continued support to keep NT4 secure. It points out that much of the IT world simply cannot move at Microsoft's pace.

Ballmer had some other interesting comments, and as you would expect he made some provocative statements. He referenced Bill Joy's recent comments on monoculture, and said that that it was "hogwash". His reasoning is that even with multiple platforms the problem space for security doesn't really change that much, and that more platforms actually could increase the complexity of dealing with the problem. He also made reference to a discussion with a Homeland Security official, saying that security in the technology realm has a strong parallel with national security under the threat of terrorism. He said that "the bad guys only have to get it right one time, but the good guys have to get it right every time." Towards the end of the talk, Steve said "if i could write a check for a billion dollars and most of our customers would be secure overnight, I'd write the check and go explain it to the analysts." I believe him, but the problem is that fixing the problem won't be that cheap or that easy.

Read: Steve Ballmer at the CIO Summit

Topic: ActiveSync 3.7.1 Released Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: C Octothorpe?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use