The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Documentation, documentation, documentation

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Peter G Provost

Nickname: pprovost

Peter G Provost is a Solution Architect for Interlink Group in Denver, CO.
Documentation, documentation, documentation Posted: Oct 7, 2003 4:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Peter G Provost.
Original Post: Documentation, documentation, documentation
Feed Title: Peter Provost's Geek Noise
Feed URL: /error.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Technology news, development articles, Microsoft .NET, and other stuff...
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Peter G Provost
Latest Posts From Peter Provost's Geek Noise

Advertisement

Wallace McClure has been writing about his unhappy experiences on a new project. In one post he wrote:

I asked for some documentation when I first got here.  I looked at it, realized that this was some “God-n-Country” documentation that basically was a cut-n-paste of some Microsoft Marketing documentation for certain technologies, and then asked for the programming documentation.  There is no programming documenation and the guys that originally developed this app have left.

My question to Wallace and everyone else out there is this:

Have you ever walked on to a legacy project and been given good documentation?

I haven't. I don't know anyone who has. I'm not saying "no documentation" is a good thing, but I think people have a tendency to yell "WHERE ARE THE DOCS?" anytime they have to take over someone else's code. The fact is, taking over someone else's code sucks. No one writes code and cleanly as you do, and everyone makes decisions that you wouldn't have made.

Right?

Even if you have been handed a bible of documentation, did you trust it? Did you just end up reading the code anyway? I've certainly heard this before: "Yeah, that (points to binder on desk) is the docs from the last release but they seem to be way out of date, so I'm just reading the code."

I don't like this anymore than you do, but I happen to agree with the TDD guys who preach that the code itself is the best documentation. If it is well written and clear, you shouldn't need much more than a few pages of architectural and glossary information. Maybe not even that.

Read: Documentation, documentation, documentation

Topic: Elena's Birthday Party Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: >NET Framework Class Browser

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use