The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Is the Business Tier Dead?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Tim Sneath

Nickname: timsneath

Tim Sneath is a .NET developer for Microsoft in the UK.
Is the Business Tier Dead? Posted: Oct 1, 2003 1:32 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Tim Sneath.
Original Post: Is the Business Tier Dead?
Feed Title: Tim Sneath's Blog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/tims/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Random mumblings on Microsoft, .NET, and other topics.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Tim Sneath
Latest Posts From Tim Sneath's Blog

Advertisement

With the PDC in mind, I was experimenting with two of the most broadly advertised features of Yukon earlier this week: CLR hosting in the database engine, and ObjectSpaces. If you missed the TechEd announcements and haven't seen these features at VSLive! or elsewhere, there's some detail in this chat transcript. To summarise briefly, with the Yukon release, the plan is to integrate the CLR directly into the database engine, allowing .NET assemblies to be catalogued in a database. This will allow stored procedures, functions and triggers to be built using a language such as C# in addition to, or instead of Transact-SQL. ObjectSpaces is a technology that was demonstrated at the last PDC two years ago that will provide an object persistence framework; with the right code, you'll be able to use ObjectSpaces to simply serialise objects into one or more tables in the underlying database.

A long discussion with Eric Nelson, one of my colleagues, and a shorter discussion with Niels Berglund from DevelopMentor led to a few initial musings. As ever with a blog, these are my personal opinions rather than the considered corporate view of Microsoft, and there's a lot of water to go under the bridge before the release.

At a superficial level, it seems that ObjectSpaces does away with the need for a complex data access layer (DAL) to a greater or lesser extent. If you can tell an object to go persist itself into the database, and by providing some extra metadata ensure that it knows how to go about achieving that, the work of a database tier is generally complete. Of course, there are plenty of questions that a developer needs to consider, such as security, the database schema itself, and performance and scalability issues; but none of these are insurmountable given a good enough supporting infrastructure.

Let's park that thought for a moment, and consider the other big new feature: SQLCLR. We've been running a number of labs over the last eighteen months that I've been involved with, where ISVs have brought their .NET development projects in to the UK office and we've worked with them on any issues they are experiencing with moving to .NET. I've observed that many of them have quite lightweight business logic layers (BLLs) - because their applications are fundamentally pretty data-centric and they've been able to create a design that has a pretty close mapping between business objects and data entities. For a while I've wondered how much of that layer exists primarily to avoid the need to write large quantities of T-SQL.

Indeed, many business layers have two major functions. Firstly, they support a workflow that matches the underlying business process; secondly, they provide some business-level consistency checking for data input via the UI. I've always been uncomfortable with the latter function as a database bigot: as far as I'm concerned anything that relates to the consistency of the data should be done as close to the data itself as possible. Sometimes I have conversations with developers that leave me worried that a user bypassing the business application could insert data that might break the application itself.

Now we've got SQLCLR, it's possible to move that business-level consistency checking directly into the database as triggers or stored procs written in C#. The devs are happy because they don't have to use T-SQL - and the DBAs are happy that the ACID principle hasn't been violated (once they've got their heads around compiled code being stored on their server). So where does that leave the business tier? Greatly diminished, I'd argue, particularly when other factors that will no doubt be revealed at the PDC are taken into account.

So, are we going to be able to eradicate one of the three logical application layers within the next few years? I wonder...

Read: Is the Business Tier Dead?

Topic: WSE 2.0- Any Updates? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Homeworld and Blog Controls

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use