The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
WiFi Connectivity in Windows Server 2003

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Doug Thews

Nickname: dougthews

Doug Thews is a software developer/manager for D&D Consulting Services with 18+ years of experience
WiFi Connectivity in Windows Server 2003 Posted: Sep 30, 2003 7:51 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Doug Thews.
Original Post: WiFi Connectivity in Windows Server 2003
Feed Title: IlluminatiLand
Feed URL: http://apps5.oingo.com/apps/domainpark/domainpark.cgi?client=netw8744&s=JETBRAINS.COM
Feed Description: A technology blog for people enlightened enough to think for themselves
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Doug Thews
Latest Posts From IlluminatiLand

Advertisement

If you're planning on installing Windows Server 2003 on a machine that you plan on using WiFi with, you might want to check this out. I usually install a new OS using a 10/100 card so that when I'm downloading the initial Windows updates, I get them faster. Then, I switch over to my WiFi card by just plugging it in and letting the drivers auto-install (I'm talking Win2K and XP here).

Well, Microsoft has introduced a new OS server service called Wireless Configuration. Under Win2K & XP when you plugged in your card, you could find a list of detected WiFi stations under the Properties of the card. Well, all this is now packaged into this service. The problem is that Windows Server 2003 sets the start status of this service to Manual if you install without a WiFi card (because it doesn't think you'll need it). So you plug in your WiFi card, it gets detected, the drivers install, and then you get that nasty red "X" (cable unplugged) meaning that the card couldn't find a WiFi station.

Digging deeper, the card properties like connection type (Infrastructure, Ad-Hoc, etc), connection speed (11MBPS, 5-11MBPS, etc) are now unavailable via the Properties box of the card (unlike Win2K and XP). You can get at these properties after starting the service (I now have mine set to Automatic, regardless of if I have the card in or not) and selecting "View Available Wireless Networks" when right-mouse clicking on the WiFi connection under Network Connections.

So, if you're planning on installing Windows Server 2003 (perhaps to try out Whidbey, Yukon, or Exchange Server 2003), then maybe this little tidbit will help out.

Read: WiFi Connectivity in Windows Server 2003

Topic: Make 2=0 In Your Code Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Surgery Today

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use