The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Thurrott: PDC Attendees to See Aero Demo, but No Code

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Randy Holloway

Nickname: randyh

Randy Holloway is a developer and writer focused on enterprise software.
Thurrott: PDC Attendees to See Aero Demo, but No Code Posted: Sep 28, 2003 4:16 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Randy Holloway.
Original Post: Thurrott: PDC Attendees to See Aero Demo, but No Code
Feed Title: Randy Holloway's Weblog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/rholloway/rss.aspx
Feed Description: Commentary on Yukon, the CLR, and related technologies interspersed with personal opinion.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Randy Holloway
Latest Posts From Randy Holloway's Weblog

Advertisement

I just saw this article over at the Winformat web site. Exclusive: PDC Attendees to Get Aero Demo Only

Which states that according to "sources" that have spoken to Paul that Aero will be not included in the DVDs given out at the PDC. The main reason being to ensure that competitors are not able to copy Aero before it is launched. It is a curious statement to make when you consider the market shares of Apple and Linux in the desktop markets where Longhorn is targeted.

I would have thought what might be much more dangerous is someone providing a piece of freeware that runs on top of Windows XP and 2000 that provides say 80% of the look and feel of Aero as that would make Longhorn look old before it is launched and potential surpress sales of the os. Are Microsoft really scared that they could lose market share by it's competitors getting an Aero competitor to market earlier than them ?.

I would have thought a more plausible story must be that they have not reached the point in the code cycle where it is ready for more general distribution. I wonder what the true story is.

[WebLogs @ ASP.NET]

I hope Thurrott is wrong on this one, but the Longhorn backchannel has been consistent with Thurrott's story so far.  This has been hinted at over the past few months, and now it may be the reality.  We'll see.

Read: Thurrott: PDC Attendees to See Aero Demo, but No Code

Topic: CLR Team Manager Jason Zander Blogs Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Grading on the curve

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use