The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
RSS enclosures

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Greg Reinacker

Nickname: gregr

Greg Reinacker is president of NewsGator Technologies
RSS enclosures Posted: Sep 25, 2003 9:15 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Greg Reinacker.
Original Post: RSS enclosures
Feed Title: Greg Reinacker's Weblog
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Greg Reinacker's Weblog
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Greg Reinacker
Latest Posts From Greg Reinacker's Weblog

Advertisement

Dave Winer on RSS enclosures:

Chris Lydon has been doing a series of audio interviews on his weblog at Harvard. There are already over 25 interviews, representing 40 separate MP3 files. The archive is nearly 300MB. It's a perfect application for RSS enclosures. [Scripting News]
Eek...any time I see an automatic 300MB download being a perfect application for anything, it gives me pause.

I've read Dave's "How to support enclosures" document. It says aggregators should not download enclosures until the computer is idle, and gives some other guidelines for implementing them. The idea is that the enclosures will be there waiting for you when you get around to looking at them.

Here's my big problem with this, though. The enclosure-aware aggregators I've seen thus far just go happily download all of these enclosures in the background. There's probably an excellent chance the user will never open these files...and yet we're burning untold amounts of bandwidth to download them anyway. Bandwidth isn't free, folks.

NewsGator will indeed support enclosures in the next release...but it will work a little differently than existing tools. We may not follow Dave's recommendations on how to support enclosures to the letter, as our application is unique, and the user experience is different from most other tools...but we believe the user experience will be satisfying, and give users the flexibility to do what they want. Stay tuned.

Read: RSS enclosures

Topic: Java is the SUV of Programming Languages or Phillip Greenspun is a stud Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Part II: The solution explorer and windows forms

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use