The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Lean Software Development

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Chris Flaat

Nickname: cflaat

Chris Flaat is a development lead for Microsoft's Visual Studio product.
Lean Software Development Posted: Aug 12, 2003 2:06 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Chris Flaat.
Original Post: Lean Software Development
Feed Title: Chris Flaat's Weblog
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/cflaat/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: I mainly discuss tips & tricks about VS 2002, VS 2003, and upcoming versions of VS.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Chris Flaat
Latest Posts From Chris Flaat's Weblog

Advertisement

Greetings, all!  In my recent software process readings, I came upon a great book.  It all started when I was doing some searching on the web and I stumbled upon this article in SD magazine.  It discusses how the Japanese used the concept of continuous process improvement to pass by the USA in the manufacture of many products in the 70's & 80's, esp. automobiles.  It then discusses how many of those principles have an application to software.  The article is by Mary Poppendieck, and I thought it was so interesting that I got the book that she and Tom Poppendieck wrote, called Lean Software Development.

I really like this book.  It's not preachy like many agile-related books & articles these days, and it's grounded in ideas that make a lot of sense once you think about it but which you probably wouldn't have thought of on your own.  It's also pretty well written & organized.

An inevitable result of reading a book like this is that you analyze your own work environment and try to figure out how to apply the principles.  In our team at Microsoft, we're "lean" in many ways, and already do many of the things that this book and faddish quality movements (six sigma, TQM, etc.) advocate in ways that are really impressive.  But in other areas, our processes are way less efficient than they could be, and I'm hoping to fix some of that in the coming months.  When you start to look at things from a perspective of eliminating waste and continually improving your processes, unnecessary processes that don't contribute to the bottom line stick out like a sore thumb.

Great book, highly recommended. -Chris

Read: Lean Software Development

Topic: Oh, yeah, me too... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: ASP.NET Menu

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use