The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Random things

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Stuart Langridge

Nickname: aquarius

Stuart Langridge is a web, JavaScript, and Python hacker, and sometimes all three at once.
Random things Posted: Mar 9, 2005 4:57 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Stuart Langridge.
Original Post: Random things
Feed Title: as days pass by
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kryogenix
Feed Description: scratched tallies on the prison wall
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Stuart Langridge
Latest Posts From as days pass by

Advertisement

More cleaning up Kept New things in Bloglines

• Seth Nickell’s essay about Sabayon makes it look like one of the coolest things I’ve seen in ages. Help desktop sysadmins by allowing them to fire up and configure a user profile (or user group profile) in an Xnested X session. Wow. Cool.
  • rds’ points about Linux users’ laissez-faire attitude to security deserves a real post, but I’m not going to get time. Suffice to say that yes, he’s right, we need to be more aware—Paul Vixie once famously said that “if I can get you to ‘su and say’ something just by asking, you have a very serious security problem on your system and you should look into it”—but I think he underestimates the amount of damage hostile code can do as a user in a world of single-user desktop Linux machines, and he also underestimates the amount that application authors try to avoid bad situations: Apache disavows all privileges, for example, and Hula isn’t supposed to run as root, it was just that way because of a bug in the initial release, which was being fixed.
  • Ian Bicking talks about professionalism in much the same way I do; it’s a code word for staid, stuck-in-the-mud, mindlessly carrying on according to some contentless plan handed down by your betters rather than innovating. The true progress comes when you salt “professionalism” with un professionalism, or the other way around; anarchic groups of hackers don’t get much done (don’t claim that major open source projects are like this, because they are not; there are leaders and process), and “professional” places don’t do a lot of innovation. The interface between the two—the “edge of chaos“, as Michael Crichton has it—is where stuff really happens.
  • More comments on Python vs. .NET stuff from a conversation I had with Reggie Burnett. Again, something I ought to compose a proper reply to but haven’t had time…
  • Python, Quixote, and Cheetah together is the way forward for web applications, says Edd Dumbill: “Quixote plus Cheetah could be the direct (and free) Python answer to ASP.NET“.

Read: Random things

Topic: Installing Hula on Ubuntu Warty, phase 2 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Marketplace on NPR says Podcasts are coming

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use