The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Need a Cookie Today?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Robert E. Barksdale

Nickname: mozkit

Robert Barksdale is a network administrator by day and a Mac OS X and Open Source advocate 24x7.
Need a Cookie Today? Posted: Aug 8, 2003 6:24 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Robert E. Barksdale.
Original Post: Need a Cookie Today?
Feed Title: mozKit
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/blog/?flavor=rss
Feed Description: Gecko and the Bean: A look at Mozilla, Java and other open solutions from an OS X user's perspective.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Robert E. Barksdale
Latest Posts From mozKit

Advertisement

Having been a long-time user of Netscape mail, I logged in to check my mail today. However, today was different. I was greeted with screen that wanted my "name, rank and serial number." Keep in mind, that I have done my duty before and provided the information required at the time of initial sign-up. Why are they asking for this again? Why are they holding my mail hostage until I provide them my personal information? Before submitting my information, I did the responsible thing, and decided to check out the Terms of Service and Privacy Agreement. Very interesting reading. In the Privacy Agreement is a list of companies that track information about your internet travels. They are:

• Atlas DMT
  • DoubleClick
  • MediaPlex
  • PGI
  • Dynamic Logic
  • Millward Brown IntelliQuest
  • Bluestreak
  • Poindexter
  • CentrPort
  • Jupiter Media Metrix
  • X10

Well, I decided not to check my Netscape account this morning. I will be re-accessing the need for that mail account this week. Privacy is important to me and these type of practices get under my skin. What do you think? Are they essential to our internet experience? Do they enhance it in any way?

Sorry Netscape, I don't feel like having a cookie today!

Read: Need a Cookie Today?

Topic: Knowledge Portfolio Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Dear Dave and Mark:

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use