The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Don't do Napster

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Christian Machmeier

Nickname: cmachmeier

Christian Machmeier is a web designer and developer in Heidelberg, Germany.
Don't do Napster Posted: Feb 8, 2005 3:12 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Christian Machmeier.
Original Post: Don't do Napster
Feed Title: .redSPLASH - Blog
Feed URL: http://businesslogs.com/WebLog/RSS.xml
Feed Description: Share what you know, learn what you don't
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Christian Machmeier
Latest Posts From .redSPLASH - Blog

Advertisement
John Gruber comments (Subscription Small Print) on Napster To Go a second time (Magic 8-Ball Answers Your Questions Regarding the 'Napster To Go' Subscription Service). He claims Napster's Do The Math-Campaign isn't appropriately fitting to the intended audience, to express it shortly. In greater detail, he states two important points:

..there seems to be a fair amount of confusion regarding the way subscription-based music services such as Napster To Go work. What many people seem to be missing is this:

If you drop your subscription, all of the music you’ve downloaded ceases to function.

And secondly, ..

most of us over the age of, say, 25 or so, already own most of the music we’re ever going to want. Not all of the music, but most. I’ve bought more music on CDs in the past than I’m going to buy in the future.

I think, both points are valuable and important. John Gruber said it best: If already own very many music titles (either on CD or as MP3's), you won't go to use a subscription service for collecting purposes. Meaning, you plan to keep those titles, say, forever.

But beyond that, what John misses, and Napster only tells in a footnote, is, that you need Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10 to run Napster To Go. Well, both of these could be real obstacles for anyone, ever wanting to subscribe to Napster's subscription service, but not being willing to run an overestimated OS and underachieving Media Player.

Therefore, it seems, as if Napster is not only following an obviously different strategy than Apple, but also one, that will not be crowned by success. At least, they won't win me as their customer. But, not to be pessimistic, why not give them time, say a year or two, and see how far they'll make it to the market?

Read: Don't do Napster

Topic: Nofollow Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: My Podcast Blogroll (Podcastroll? Podroll? Castroll? Casserole?)

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use