The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
I'm quoted in a magazine for admitting to ignorance. I knew this glorious day would come.

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Josh Baltzell

Nickname: jbaltzell

Josh Baltzell is an ASP.NET and ASP Programmer learning all he can about all.
I'm quoted in a magazine for admitting to ignorance. I knew this glorious day would come. Posted: Jan 28, 2005 9:47 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Josh Baltzell.
Original Post: I'm quoted in a magazine for admitting to ignorance. I knew this glorious day would come.
Feed Title: ShortDomainName.com
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Weblog of Josh Baltzell. Focusing on the computer industry and .NET programming related news. I like to get involved on the discussions wherever they are.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Josh Baltzell
Latest Posts From ShortDomainName.com

Advertisement

A qhile back a writer for Ziff Davis emailed me to ask me some questions about .NET.  He quoted me in his article about “.NET Gotchas” in an article for Baseline magazine.

Problem: The Visual Basic .NET programming language is much more object-oriented than past versions of Visual Basic.

Resolution: Invest in training of developers. The idea behind object-oriented programming is to organize logic and data-access functions into discrete units, called classes, that are templates for software modules, or objects, that will be loaded into memory when a program runs. The programming syntax is similar to VB, but there are differences. For example, in VB .NET the "string" data type for holding a bit of text in memory is associated with a new string class. As a result, functions such as search-and-replace work differently and have different implications for memory usage.

"One 'gotcha' for me was that I didn't fully understand object-oriented programming-I thought I did, but I was wrong," says Josh Baltzell, a Web developer for Xerox and his own consulting firm, Ectropic Interactive. He adapted, but suggests he would have come up to speed quicker with the benefit of a week of boot-camp training in the new technology.

The bootcamp thing is true.  I am a young developer and I could have used a deluge of information to hopefully ratchet down my ego a notch or get me going in the right direction from the start.  But isn't it funny that the first time in my life that my name has ever been published in a magazine that I am admitting ignorance?  I look forward to admitting even more ignorance as the years go by.  Maybe I should get in to politics where I can just show my ignorance instead of admitting to it.

[READ]

Read: I'm quoted in a magazine for admitting to ignorance. I knew this glorious day would come.

Topic: Band Name Idea: Cuddly Uterus Doll Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The ones I read first in my long blogroll

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use