The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
A man who gets it

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Stuart Langridge

Nickname: aquarius

Stuart Langridge is a web, JavaScript, and Python hacker, and sometimes all three at once.
A man who gets it Posted: Jan 19, 2005 12:44 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Stuart Langridge.
Original Post: A man who gets it
Feed Title: as days pass by
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kryogenix
Feed Description: scratched tallies on the prison wall
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Stuart Langridge
Latest Posts From as days pass by

Advertisement

Andy, who is a friend and comrade and not incidentally the other half of the Men With Big Stones , has started a weblog where he intends to talk about things which interest him, which include football, Linux, geopolitics, and HR. The Linux stuff should be interesting; this is a bloke who wanted a computer to do all the standard computer things (surf the web, read email, write documents, rip CDs, plug in devices) and so I gave him Ubuntu, and he’s had nothing but success with it. He is a bright shining light shedding the illumination of truth on my fervent contention that ordinary people can use Linux just as successfully as they use Windows, and like it just as much. However, that’s not what I’m going to talk about today. Today I’m going to talk about HR.
Andy’s a pretty big wheel in HR for a large bank, which I’m not going to name. Over Christmas we talked about reward and recognition for people in IT, and since I go along with Joel Spolsky on this I said that recognition schemes were no good, give them new laptops and 19” flatscreens instead, all that sort of thing. And he was convinced. This is great. He’s an HR guy who gets it. Whether he’ll be able to implement this stuff remains to be seen, but he’s been writing about his attempts to tell people that IT reward is not about certificates with your name on. More! More!

Read: A man who gets it

Topic: Ways to Help with Tsunami Relief Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Seen elsewhere: Life without Firefox…

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use