The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Podcasting Sound-Seeing Ideas for incorporating images

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Josh Baltzell

Nickname: jbaltzell

Josh Baltzell is an ASP.NET and ASP Programmer learning all he can about all.
Podcasting Sound-Seeing Ideas for incorporating images Posted: Jan 18, 2005 12:01 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Josh Baltzell.
Original Post: Podcasting Sound-Seeing Ideas for incorporating images
Feed Title: ShortDomainName.com
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Weblog of Josh Baltzell. Focusing on the computer industry and .NET programming related news. I like to get involved on the discussions wherever they are.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Josh Baltzell
Latest Posts From ShortDomainName.com

Advertisement

Lately on the Daily Source Code podcast by Adam Curry he has been talking about and doing “Sound-seeing”.  What it comes down to is that he is walking around and recording as he moves.  This is a cool idea to me as long as everyone can do something with similar quality.  The only problem is that I doubt most people can produce a good enough narrative to really comprehend the environment around the recorder.  Video would be cool, but really it is not needed since we don't always need to see what is going on.

My suggestion would be to use a digital camera (preferably a really small one that can last long enough to take quite a few pics) and take a picture every time the scenery changes.  If you stop in Starbucks for 30 mins then just take one as you walk in and after you sit down.  This will just give the person consuming the media an idea of where you are.  I think that is important since you are trying to bring them along on a little trip through wherever you are.

So here is how I see everything working.  You begin recording on your portable device and you note the actual time when you begin to record.  Now you can take pics with your camera and use the creation date on the file to build a time line of when you took the pic compared to when you were recording.

Now that you have your data you can process that and use it to build a file in one of several ways.

1:  You could use flash and have the audio in MP3.  The file size would be small, but it would never play on a portable player.

2:  You could write the file as a movie.  The file size should not be bad since the screen will just be displaying a static image most of the time.  Some super high end players can play video, but not too many.

3:  You could use a program to process your audio file and add a certain tone to each moment during the recording that you took a photo.  If you did it this way then you could let people follow along if they like, but you would still have a plain MP3 that anyone could use.  The other cool thing that some people might be able to do is use their iPod Photo with this setup.  I assume that you can browse photos with music playing, but I have not had my hands on one.  If you did this you could release the images and let people copy them so they can see your pics on their iPod Photo display while listening.

Thoughts?

Read: Podcasting Sound-Seeing Ideas for incorporating images

Topic: Mozilla Update website gets a facelift Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: NORAD Santa cam

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use