The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Getting a net connection with a Sharp Zaurus and a Sony Ericsson K700i on Orange in the UK

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Stuart Langridge

Nickname: aquarius

Stuart Langridge is a web, JavaScript, and Python hacker, and sometimes all three at once.
Getting a net connection with a Sharp Zaurus and a Sony Ericsson K700i on Orange in the UK Posted: Dec 14, 2004 11:45 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Stuart Langridge.
Original Post: Getting a net connection with a Sharp Zaurus and a Sony Ericsson K700i on Orange in the UK
Feed Title: as days pass by
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kryogenix
Feed Description: scratched tallies on the prison wall
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Stuart Langridge
Latest Posts From as days pass by

Advertisement

One of the reasons that I wanted my K700i and that I paid for the OrangeWorld data subscription was that I’d get GPRS access to the net, which means that I can see the net from wherever I am using my Zaurus, which can browse the web and do SSH and everything (unlike the lame WAP browser built in to the phone). So, I rang Orange and said “How do I make a PDA dial the net via GPRS, if te PDA can talk infrared to the K700i?” They said: just dial the number *99#. So I set up a connection in the Z’s “Network and Sync” applet to do “IrDA – PPP” and told it that the phone number was *99#. Didn’t work; it talks to the phone and tells it to connect, but then the phone disconnects immediately. Bah. I rang Orange, and—guess what?—they said “we only support Windows-based PocketPCs, because we’re a bunch of droid muppets who don’t actually understand the technology.” Or words to that effect. So, after a bit of investigating, I have worked out how to do it for myself:

• On your UK Orange K700i, go Menu | Connectivity | Data comm. | Data accounts
  • It should have a number of accounts in there: you need to count down until you find “Orange GPRS Internet“, ignoring the “New account” at the top. Mine has “Orange GPRS WAP” first (after “New account“), then “Orange MMS“, then “Orange GPRS Internet“, so it’s number 3. Remember this number: it’s called the CID.
  • Edit that “Orange GPRS Internet” account
  • In “Authentication“, there should be “Normal” (ticked), “Secure” (unticked), and “None” (unticked). Tick “None“, and hit OK to save.
  • On the Zaurus, go into the Network and Sync applet in Settings
  • In the Services tab, say “Add”
  • Choose “IrDA – PPP” and say “Add”
  • In the “Phone” section on the Account tab, enter * 99 * * * CID #, where CID is the CID you remembered from earlier (so in my case I entered * 99 * * * 3 #) (don’t put spaces in between the things: it’s a seven character string star-nine-nine-star-star-star-CID-hash)
  • Save the connection with OK

Now, you should be able to turn on IR on your K700i, position it and the Z appropriately, and connect using the connect button on the taskbar on the Z. When it connects you;ll have a full on (and pretty darn fast) net connection on the Z. Go nuts.

Read: Getting a net connection with a Sharp Zaurus and a Sony Ericsson K700i on Orange in the UK

Topic: Konfabulator for Windows, finally Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines ships the same day as Half-Life 2

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use