The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Backend Switched to Serendipity

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
John Wilger

Nickname: killalldas

John Wilger is a professional web applications developer for SchoolOutfitters.com
Backend Switched to Serendipity Posted: Nov 12, 2004 4:15 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by John Wilger.
Original Post: Backend Switched to Serendipity
Feed Title: ThatWebThing: Weblog
Feed URL: http://thatwebthing.com/rss.php?category=2_Weblog&version=1.0
Feed Description: Design, Usability and Programming for the Web Weblog entries.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by John Wilger
Latest Posts From ThatWebThing: Weblog

Advertisement

I switched the software that powers this website from a home-grown Rails application to a very nicely done PHP app called Serendipity. Now, don't take this as an argument agains Rails or Ruby--I really love them both, and I cringe at the thought of coding in PHP after my few months of Ruby experience. It's just that I don't have the time necessary to devote to finishing the Rails app that was powering this site, and it's generally bad form to have a half-assed site up when part of the site's topic is Web usability.

Part of being a good programmer is knowing when not to re-invent the wheel, so I figured that the best idea was to go ahead and use some off the shelf software for the weblog. Serendipity was painless to get running, and it comes with a decent set of default templates (it also seem pretty easy to create your own custom design around it). This site is currenlty using one of the defaults, although I did slap the old logo on it.

With the move to the new software comes (finally!) the ability for comments to be posted here.

Please let me know if you run into any specific problems with the site.

Read: Backend Switched to Serendipity

Topic: Velký bratr (Google bomba 404) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Portions of Spamx plugin for Geeklog minimally based on MT-Blacklist Updater

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use