The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
How to reach top executives

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
John Wilger

Nickname: killalldas

John Wilger is a professional web applications developer for SchoolOutfitters.com
How to reach top executives Posted: Oct 7, 2004 8:06 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by John Wilger.
Original Post: How to reach top executives
Feed Title: ThatWebThing
Feed URL: http://thatwebthing.com/rss/index
Feed Description: Articles and weblog about design, usability and programming for the web.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by John Wilger
Latest Posts From ThatWebThing

Advertisement

There's a decent discussion on SitePoint's business blog about how to reach top executives when selling your products or services. I commented on the entry, but that comment is worth repeating here:

My father was in sales for a long time way back in the day, and he has taught me some valuable lessons regarding sales. One of those was to always start with the CEO or President when trying to do business with a new company that you don't already have contacts in.

The main job of the CEO is really public relations for most companies (especially larger ones). Don't be afraid that he is too busy to talk to you—you can almost always have a conversation with him that is long enough to at least find out who else in the company you should really be talking to. The trick is getting past his secretary—and here's the secret to that:

1. Find out the name of the CEO. For public corps this is easy—it's a matter of public record. For private companies, a customer service rep or receptionist will usually at least tell you his/her name.

2. Call the main office or corporate headquarters. If you can get the direct number to the CEO's office use that, otherwise, call the main switchboard.

3. Ask for the CEO by first name, and mention that he is expecting your call. The secretary probably won't know that he isn't actually expecting it and wouldn't dare blow someone off who asked for the CEO by first name and said the CEO was expecting their call. If the secretary mentions to the CEO that the call was 'expected' and the CEO calls you on your ruse, it's easy to convince them that it was a simple misunderstanding—just be creative.

4. In most cases, the CEO isn't the one you really need to sell the service to, but he will be able to tell you which manager you need to be talking to instead. So the next thing you do is pick up the phone and call that person. And here's where you up your chances of making the sale:

5. People in charge of making decisions about web developers or any other product/service purchases are swamped with sales calls and are used to blowing them off. If you had started with them, your chances of getting very far are limited—they probably won't even listen. But now you can get their attention. When you get ahold of them, introduce yourself, and say "I've been speaking with insert CEO name here, and he wanted me to give you a call to discuss insert what you're selling here."

Now they'll be more open to listening to you. If you can follow through with a top-notch sales pitch and presentation, you'll have a leg up on the competition.

Read: How to reach top executives

Topic: 16 Operation Marketgarden 11 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Interesting SMS message from my clinic

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use