The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
RSS feed integration in Firefox

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Cheah Chu Yeow

Nickname: redemption

Cheah Chu Yeow is no one of any importance
RSS feed integration in Firefox Posted: Jul 12, 2004 12:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Cheah Chu Yeow.
Original Post: RSS feed integration in Firefox
Feed Title: redemption in a blog
Feed URL: http://blog.codefront.net/xml/rss20/feed.xml
Feed Description: ramblings of a misfit - web development, Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, CSS, programming
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Cheah Chu Yeow
Latest Posts From redemption in a blog

Advertisement

Recently added to the Firefox feature list: Live Bookmarks (or Livemarks). Livemarks weren't initially intended to make it into Firefox 1.0, as Ben Goodger commented when he filed bug 244078. It seems like they will make it anyway, and have already appeared in nightly branch builds since 2004-07-08.

Livemarks allow you to bookmark an RSS feed and these appear as bookmark folders, with individual items in the feed appearing as bookmarks. Just click on the "bookmark" and you will be taken to the page the item in the RSS feed is pointing to.

Screenshot of Livemarks folder on Bookmarks toolbar

A lightning bolt icon appears on sites which have the <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS" href="http://www.example.com/index.xml" /> bit in the <head> tags. All you got to do is to click on the icon and choose from the syndication formats available.

Screenshot of Livemarks icon

There's even a "Refresh Livemark" context menu option to keep your Livemarks up to date.

Screenshot of Livemarks Refresh context menu option

Not anything that would take me away from the current RSS aggregator I use, but the integration with the bookmarking system is a very intuitive model that would fit into most people's conceptual model of RSS feeds and bookmarks. I mean, an RSS feed is as good as a bookmark you keep somewhere (only it feeds you live content). RSS feed -> bookmark folder, RSS feed item -> bookmark. Gels nicely for me.

Get a nightly branch build if you're interested to see it in action for yourself.

Read: RSS feed integration in Firefox

Topic: Table names and case sensitivity - bad MySQL Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Mozilla Firefox 0.9 Released

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use