The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
New Find Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Cheah Chu Yeow

Nickname: redemption

Cheah Chu Yeow is no one of any importance
New Find Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox Posted: Jul 9, 2004 12:10 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Cheah Chu Yeow.
Original Post: New Find Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox
Feed Title: redemption in a blog
Feed URL: http://blog.codefront.net/xml/rss20/feed.xml
Feed Description: ramblings of a misfit - web development, Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, CSS, programming
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Cheah Chu Yeow
Latest Posts From redemption in a blog

Advertisement

The Burning Edge reports on the new Find Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox that brings the much unknown Find As You Type feature to the fore, at least in terms of GUI presence. This feature has just been checked in into the branch builds of Firefox (and as such is a little buggy). To bring up the Find Toolbar, you need to press Ctrl-F or / (and then start typing).

Screenshot of Find As You Type toolbar in action

The "Find as you type" function is not new to Firefox and has been in there for a long time. You may not have realized it before. If you have a version (or build) of Firefox that you got hold of before today, you could just start typing the word (or words) that you want to find and Firefox will incrementally find and highlight the first instance of the word that matches what you type.

Now you need to press Ctrl-F or / to bring up the Find As You Type functionality (and the new toolbar). Some people have already been screaming at inconvenience of the extra keystroke (or keystrokes if you use Ctrl-F) - I certainly don't like it because I'm what I'd like to call an entrenched user of Find As You Type. It's hard for me to adjust and seems painfully inconvenient. But the truth of it probably is that it's just 1 extra keystroke and should be something one can get used to. Especially if the benefit is increased visibility of the (amazing) Find As You Type feature (which, if I may add, was first seen on the Opera web browser) - if more people knew of this productivity feature, I'm pretty sure they'd stick around with Firefox. If it will get more people using Firefox, I'm ready to compromise (or if not, there'd probably be an extension in the future which disables the new Find Toolbar).

Also new in the Find Toolbar is a Highlight button that highlights all the matching text on the webpage. No complaints against this one. Great stuff.

Screenshot of Find As You Type toolbar Highlight function in action

Read: New Find Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox

Topic: Who cares about Web standards? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Toledo nerd dinner date/time/location Version 1.0

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use