The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Singaporeans found blogging

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Cheah Chu Yeow

Nickname: redemption

Cheah Chu Yeow is no one of any importance
Singaporeans found blogging Posted: May 6, 2004 9:51 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Cheah Chu Yeow.
Original Post: Singaporeans found blogging
Feed Title: redemption in a blog
Feed URL: http://blog.codefront.net/xml/rss20/feed.xml
Feed Description: ramblings of a misfit - web development, Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, CSS, programming
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Cheah Chu Yeow
Latest Posts From redemption in a blog

Advertisement

Pardon the newsy (and awkward) title for this entry - it's hard trying to think up creative titles when that juice dries up. Anyway, this is more of a gratuitous, promotional linking entry than a real blog entry (although some of you will not be unaccustomed to blogs that are full-on linkblogs - and I'm not talking about side link-blogs).

So yeah, recently I've encountered a couple of local (Singaporean) webloggers whom I've had to pleasure of speaking to. They are one Alex Choo and one Jaime Wong, both very different people and rather unrelated in fact, so I should speak of each in turn.

Well, Alex is someone I've had the pleasure of speaking with at length (via IM) and will be someone I'll be working with on a clandestine project that will save the world from the Antediluvians when Gehenna comes... yes, something like that. Alex is also the owner of Google Apps, a collection of tools that use the Google API. This includes "Adsense serves...", which tells you which ads a particular webpage would serve, and also Glocal News. Glocal News lets you search for news on Google News related to a particular country:

Glocal News does not just check for country names, it also checks for commonly used terms associated with that country.

You may ask: "why don't I just go to Google News and key in 'USA' to find USA-related news?" The difference lies in there being other keywords related to each country, and these are entered in the search for you invisibly. That gives you a rather good set of results, if you do try it out. The bad thing, however, is there's no way you can add more keywords and the application depends on the author appending more keywords as they become relevant.

Now, Jaime Wong is a freelance web designer who wrote me simply because you don't see many Singaporeans who know what Web Standards mean - we need to stick together, all 4 of us. We did talk a bit about starting a local interest group, but as of this time there're so very few of us. Probably needs to gather more momentum and weight first before a thrust of any sort is to do any good. If you're Singaporean and are interested in a local interest group dealing with Web Standards, do write me or Jaime, just for a chat or anything at all.

By the way, Jaime's weblog is absolutely stunning. You have to check it out. It was even listed on CSS Vault.

Hmm... Well, this didn't turn out to be a linkblog-like entry after all.

Read: Singaporeans found blogging

Topic: Flogging Easter Bunnies Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Speaking in binary

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use