The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Referrer spam revisited

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Cheah Chu Yeow

Nickname: redemption

Cheah Chu Yeow is no one of any importance
Referrer spam revisited Posted: Mar 1, 2004 7:04 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Cheah Chu Yeow.
Original Post: Referrer spam revisited
Feed Title: redemption in a blog
Feed URL: http://blog.codefront.net/xml/rss20/feed.xml
Feed Description: ramblings of a misfit - web development, Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, CSS, programming
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Cheah Chu Yeow
Latest Posts From redemption in a blog

Advertisement

Less than 3 weeks ago I wrote about referrer spam from fake blog sites. Today, as I peruse my access logs as part of my end-of-the-month ritual, I find myself again a victim of referrer spam.

I am getting hits from [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] (all redirected via JavaScript so that search engines ignore them). It doesn't take a Photohunt expert to notice the similarities in each site. Amazing how this sites are appear to be purely legitimate - there is a dictionary site, a Bushido site and even an academic society's anniversy meeting website . Most are just simply facades once you try to click around - links either lead back to the webroot or take you to some external site.

My conjecture: someone owns this collection of sites and is trying to get a high PageRank for the sites, either to later sell them off or for further abuse. Anyone else have a theory?

Anyhow, you can view my .htaccess to see my blacklist of referrer spamming sites as well as a mod_rewrite method of blocking referrers.

Read: Referrer spam revisited

Topic: I'm not even going to comment on this picture Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Mr. Picassohead

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use