The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
The Tenth Percent Plan for America 2016

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Josh Baltzell

Nickname: jbaltzell

Josh Baltzell is an ASP.NET and ASP Programmer learning all he can about all.
The Tenth Percent Plan for America 2016 Posted: Jan 30, 2004 8:27 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Josh Baltzell.
Original Post: The Tenth Percent Plan for America 2016
Feed Title: ShortDomainName.com
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Weblog of Josh Baltzell. Focusing on the computer industry and .NET programming related news. I like to get involved on the discussions wherever they are.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Josh Baltzell
Latest Posts From ShortDomainName.com

Advertisement

I like to think this is a big idea, big enough to rally a post-reality-TV nation. I like to call it the Tenth Percent Plan (patent pending). From top to bottom this plays itself out like a post apocalyptic 80’s movie, but I assure you that once you grasp the benefit to society you will start to think past the "inhumane" and "cruel and unusual punishment" portions.

What I propose with this plan is simple; make worthlessness against the law. Punishing people for being worthless is the general idea of all laws when push comes to shove. A person that kills others, rapes, steals at will etc. is considered by the law to not be worthy of life in society. I am proposing a new blanket law to catch those we have yet to catch with a current law. I know there are many out there just draining the life out of society, so I am here to solve the problem.

In 2016 (when I am of age to run for president) I am planning on taking the reigns in this country and sweeping our dirt under the proverbial mat. In the next few paragraphs I will outline on what I propose to do and what the direct benefits will be. After that I will suggest some options for self funding the program so that not only does society get the benefits of the program, but they get them literally for free.

The rule is very simple. Every 10 years each citizen over the age of 25 and under the age that social security begins to pay out is systematically tested. The test gives you a score on your value to society as compared to your ability to produce value. Therefore if you are an able bodied average intelligence person that has not worked in 13 years you would score very low. While at the same time if you are confined to a wheel chair, but you have become a well respected scientist in your field you would score very high. Others would of course fall in the middle.

The people that scored in the bottom one tenth of one percent would be selected to show their value or be cast out from society. Therefore one in 1000 of people tested would be gathered in a central location to build a new society on their own. The area they are dropped in would have to be agriculturally viable so they could grow food etc. The people would be added to the existing pool of others and asked to build from the ground up something of worth. A new society.

If successful they would be given the offer to reenter our society with a guaranteed job. Anyone could decline to be sent to this test ground, but they would be asked to leave the country.

Of course this is totally unrealistic overall since people would scream it was not fair to the person and it was cruel and unusual. But I am banking on the fact that reality TV like Survivor will desensitize people enough that this will seem normal when I am able to run for president. Perhaps even a new spin on voting people out of society will seem normal after hundreds of hours of mind numbing television.

The direct benefits are numberous. First and foremost this will force a person to rehabilitate himself and make decisions for themselves and not for any other reason. We are not forcing criminals to do anything except stay within the bounds of the confined region (Which would be no doubt hundreds of square miles) or leave the country. When a person comes out of the confine they will see the world in a whole new light. There may be a transitional period when the person is transitioning from being a big fish in a small pond to the huge world of the general population, but by giving responsibility to the person as soon as they regain their freedom we are allowing them to keep those leaderships skills and organization skills working. Each person reintroduced would go from a drain on society to perhaps a high standing member of society in just a short period of time.

Even beyond the punishment and rehabilitation there are surely people who will realize that they would not stand a chance with some of the people ending up in the confines. This will get them out submitting job applications, signing up for college, getting their GED, volunteering in their community and getting in better shape. This can end the downward spiral some people are on that makes them feel like there is no hope. Once they get some pride from working hard and trying to become better that hopelessness will disappear.

So now I have outlined how this program will help both those rejected from society and those that are afraid they could be rejected next. Now we have taken off the list those that are the highest burden on society and helped the larger percent at the bottom get themselves together. Education could be at an all time high. Even if unemployment fluctuated and became higher then many people would decide to use that unemployed time to go back to school and get more skills. Soon their educations alone would bring back the jobs.

Funding. Funding a program like this is very easy. Since people placed here lose their rights as a citizen they cannot ask not to be filmed. Cameras will be setup at a multitude of locations throughout the confined area. Several unmanned mobile cameras will also roam the area to film what is happening. At all times live feeds are sent to televisions across the world. For a small fee anyone with a satellite or cable can purchase rights to levels of content. Each day a summary episode is edited for prime time network TV. I think this has the potential of being the highest rated show on television. Commercials would of course be sold.

There you have it. I have given you the information on a self funding program that will save society piles of money in the short and long term. The only loss is the loss of freedom for people that misuse it in the first place.

There’s something for you people to comment on. Show me what percentage you are!

Read: The Tenth Percent Plan for America 2016

Topic: Doing my shopping online this year Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Outstanding and Cheap Poster Hangers

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use