The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Send us to the World Cup

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Stuart Langridge

Nickname: aquarius

Stuart Langridge is a web, JavaScript, and Python hacker, and sometimes all three at once.
Send us to the World Cup Posted: Dec 3, 2010 12:21 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Stuart Langridge.
Original Post: Send us to the World Cup
Feed Title: as days pass by
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kryogenix
Feed Description: scratched tallies on the prison wall
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Stuart Langridge
Latest Posts From as days pass by

Advertisement

Lots of mithering on Twitter today about how England aren't hosting the 2018 World Cup and Russia are. Well, let's think about this. We're in a big financial crisis where people don't have any money. Some might say that that's more important than splurging an infinite amount of cash on the World Cup. But that's a miserable and football-hating point of view, and I like football. So let's think about it a different way.

How much does it cost to host the World Cup? According to the Telegraph and PriceWaterhouseCoopers, "it would cost u00a35.3 billion to stage the World Cup but bring a net economic benefit of u00a33.2 billion." So it'll cost u00a32.1 billion. That's u00a32,100,000,000. A phenomenal amount of money. But people want the world cup; what can you do?

I know. Let's imagine that a ticket to a World Cup game costs u00a390 (average match ticket price for 2010 was $139). So, a trip to the World Cup might cost this:

Tickets to 5 gamesu00a390 u00d7 5 = u00a3450
Three weeks in a hotel1u00a350 u00d7 21 = u00a31050
Return flights to Russia2u00a3250
TOTALu00a31750

So that u00a32.1 billion will buy a three week stay in Moscow with tickets to watch five matches for over a million people. Let's say the government only bought the tickets for half a million people, and spent that left-over billion quid on making schools better. That's still five hundred thousand residents of Britain who get to see the World Cup.3

Good luck getting that many into Old Trafford.

1. Gotta be able to get this rate, surely, if you buy this many tickets. If not, HMG need to boot their price negotiators in the arse, since I got Travelodge rooms for u00a319/night earlier this year ^
  2. According to Skyscanner I can fly return from LHR to Moscow for u00a3219. At that rate I might go there on holiday. ^
  3. Free benefit: everyone who cares about the World Cup will be in Russia and I won't have to be annoyed by flags on every fucking car on the motorway. ^

Read: Send us to the World Cup

Topic: [Download] WordPress 3.0.2 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Dell Streak Android 2.2 Update Released!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use