The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
PHP Specificity Part VI: High Performance PHP

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Douglas Clifton

Nickname: dwclifton

Douglas Clifton is a freelance Web programmer and writer
PHP Specificity Part VI: High Performance PHP Posted: Nov 20, 2008 10:22 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Douglas Clifton.
Original Post: PHP Specificity Part VI: High Performance PHP
Feed Title: blogZero
Feed URL: http://loadaveragezero.com/app/s9y/index.php?/feeds/index.rss1
Feed Description: Web Development News, Culture and Opinion
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Douglas Clifton
Latest Posts From blogZero

Advertisement

performance bullet Okay, now we're getting somewhere! Still dissatisfied at my attempt to reduce the glut in the parent PHP category page, I took yet another look. Wouldn't you know it? There was a definite thread of resources in there relating to improving the performance of applications written in PHP. Not surprising given the growing complexity of the language itself, the applications written in it, and the myriad of Frameworks available these days. The latter is especially critical, because with abstraction, underlying complexity, and growing feature sets, before you even start a project your code base is large. Very large. I'm not going to name names, you know who you are.

Frameworks

I prefer the simple over the complex, the modular over the monolithic. Given the opportunity, I would go with something like CodeIgnitor, which allows you to use the pieces you want and eliminate the rest. The same is true for templating engines. I've used Smarty of course, but it puzzles me why the developers would reinvent the wheel, so to speak, by adding an entirely new dynamic language syntax for templates, when PHP already is a templating language (and a whole lot more). I'm a Savant man, call me an idiot.

Web Publishing

Now we're getting into that gray area I've mentioned before. Is Drupal a framework, a CMS or an application? In my mind, some of each. Wikis and blogware packages I consider applications. It certainly helps to be a developer to get the most out of them, but it isn't strictly necessary.

User or Developer?

And this is also the point where I change my stance on complexity and features. There are certainly faster and easier to use Wiki packages than MediaWiki, but do they have all the power? As always there is a trade-off. I get frustrated with Firefox for instance, because it has become rather bloated and I have bloated it even more with lots of extensions. But as a developer, and a bit of a designer, I could not live without FireBug, Web Developer, ColorZilla, and countless other tools. Christ, I'm not even sure how the hell I managed back in the bad old days of using telnet to test HTTP requests.

Simple vs. Complex

My own philosophy on programming goes like this, start with primitives and build complexity as you move up towards the more abstract and powerful—without going too far. We can see this in the OSI layer model, and an even better example, the early days of Unix. When Dennis Ritchie got tired of working on the kernel in PDP assembler, he took the time to build the more abstract language C. Funny how all the scripting languages, tools, hell, pretty much everything, is written in C, but now days how many of us code in C anymore? Even many of the extensions written for languages like Perl, Python, and of course PHP, are written in C. And there is a damn good reason for this: Performance.

Extensibility

This concept, to me, is absolutely key to good software. Use a high-performance compiled language to build the tools and you're left with solutions that are both easy to apply and responsive. The best of both worlds.

Results

Okay, and now for the final tally. After fragmenting the PHP category into "general" (now around 50 resources) there are six sub-categories (for a total of around 50 also). Divide and conquer my friends.

Specific Navigation

Read: PHP Specificity Part VI: High Performance PHP

Topic: RDF Vancouver Wiki Site Launched - A List of Triples about Vancouver Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: On banks and Andy

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use