The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
PHP Specificity Part V: Blogware

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Douglas Clifton

Nickname: dwclifton

Douglas Clifton is a freelance Web programmer and writer
PHP Specificity Part V: Blogware Posted: Nov 17, 2008 5:32 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Douglas Clifton.
Original Post: PHP Specificity Part V: Blogware
Feed Title: blogZero
Feed URL: http://loadaveragezero.com/app/s9y/index.php?/feeds/index.rss1
Feed Description: Web Development News, Culture and Opinion
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Douglas Clifton
Latest Posts From blogZero

Advertisement

gutenberg wordpress This is the fifth and final installment of the Specificity series. In it I'll be taking a look at open-source blogging systems written in PHP. The last post on debugging PHP was a bit of a departure, this one lands squarely back in the realm of targeted CMS applications.

What do I mean by targeted? Well, there are general-purpose CMS packages, and there are ones that are designed for a more specific role. But this gets confusing, because many cross over into other territory. Take for example Trac. Is it a software documentation Wiki, a front end to Subversion, or an issue tracking package? Well, all three.

Blogware

But we should get back on track. The number of features in a sophisticated blogging platform is remarkable. The guys who build these packages are very talented (for the most part) and work their butts off. And users new to blogging may find that the jargon alone is overwhelming. But the cool thing about these packages is you can start with a simple one, and work your way up as you get comfortable. Lots of them have import/export features that allow you to move data from one to the other.

If you're in the market for any of this software, take the time to do your homework. And remember you can always try before you install, or go with a hosted solution so there's nothing to do except tweak your blog until you're satisfied. And if you're not, try something else!

Conclusion

There is no conclusion. I succeeded in nothing I set out to do. Instead of making any headway towards trimming the number of reviews in the PHP category, I more or less only moved a handful and added a bunch of additional ones to the newly created sub-categories. I will probably take a closer look and do some more segmenting. At the very least I learned a lot about the topics covered in this series.

Specific Navigation

Read: PHP Specificity Part V: Blogware

Topic: I'm Back... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How is Airtel Internet in Kolkata?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use