The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
PHP Specificity Part IV: Debugging

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Douglas Clifton

Nickname: dwclifton

Douglas Clifton is a freelance Web programmer and writer
PHP Specificity Part IV: Debugging Posted: Nov 15, 2008 2:08 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Douglas Clifton.
Original Post: PHP Specificity Part IV: Debugging
Feed Title: blogZero
Feed URL: http://loadaveragezero.com/app/s9y/index.php?/feeds/index.rss1
Feed Description: Web Development News, Culture and Opinion
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Douglas Clifton
Latest Posts From blogZero

Advertisement

spider debug Yes, I'm aware that a spider isn't technically a bug, but the cool thing about spiders is they eat bugs. This mechanical spider by Belgian sculptor Stephane Halleux looks especially menacing.

But we're not here to talk about spiders, we're here to talk about software bugs, and more specifically, debugging PHP code. In this fourth installment of the PHP Specificity series I'm going to break from the theme of content management packages momentarily and get into a topic that is not so dear to the programmer's heart. Debugging is a necessary evil and can be painful at times. But the reward, when it happens, is that eureka moment when you find the bug and squash it.

Options

I'm not sure what ever happened to DBG. The author seems to have abandoned the project, or at least stopped updating his Web site several years back. I know the product was rolled into the commercial NuSphere PhpED PHP IDE—whether they took over the code base I'm not really sure. Another option is, or rather was, the PECL package apd by George Schlossnagle. But again, it seems to be dead in the water (the last update was in 2004).

Xdebug

Fortunately, we have Xdebug, by Derick Rethans. It has all the features you'd expect from an advanced debugger, and a built-in profiler to help you tackle performance issues. With output in Cachegrind format, once you're done running the profiler on your code, you can fire up your favorite viewer to analyze the results.

If you are an IDE fan, you might want to try the Eclipse PDT, which supports both Xdebug and the Zend Debugger. Or, if you're old-school like me and a Vim user, you can configure the editor to use Xdebug with the DBGp plugin.

Specific Navigation

Read: PHP Specificity Part IV: Debugging

Topic: How is Airtel Internet in Kolkata? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Using Javascript Templates for a Delicious Sidebar

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use