The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Cachegrind your Web apps

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Douglas Clifton

Nickname: dwclifton

Douglas Clifton is a freelance Web programmer and writer
Cachegrind your Web apps Posted: Nov 9, 2008 6:50 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Douglas Clifton.
Original Post: Cachegrind your Web apps
Feed Title: blogZero
Feed URL: http://loadaveragezero.com/app/s9y/index.php?/feeds/index.rss1
Feed Description: Web Development News, Culture and Opinion
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Douglas Clifton
Latest Posts From blogZero

Advertisement

valgrind bug Valgrind is a entire suite of open-source tools, including basic debugging, profiling, and more advanced techniques such as threading, memory management, and leak detection. For the purposes of this article, I will focus on Cachegrind, and in particular within the domain of Web applications. Although there are a number of developers contributing to Valgrind, Julian Seward is the original designer and author.

Out of the three server-side languages I am most familiar with, PHP seems to be the one that is best represented, with some Python—but I found very little if any information on Perl.

What is Cachegrind?

Cachegrind is an Intel CPU emulator and cache profiler that performs detailed simulations of the onboard I1, D1 and L2 caches and can accurately pinpoint the sources of cache misses in your code. It identifies the number of cache misses, memory references, and instructions executed for each line of source code. (paraphrased)

Xdebug

Xdebug is the tool of choice for PHP developers when it comes to standard debugging, and the built-in Profiler with Cachegrind output is also maturing. Typically the output is in a file named cachegrind.out.pid, which is plain text, but be careful with large, complex applications as it can grow to on the order of 500MB. The raw data is almost useless, to really analyze and visualize the results you need a parsing/graphing tool. There are several available depending on your platform and needs.

Viewers

Once you have your output you need an application to make sense of it. Listed below are solutions for Linux (or any Unix-like OS running KDE), Mac OS X, Windows, and even a browser-based solution from Google Code.

Related Reading

Read: Cachegrind your Web apps

Topic: ECMAScript disharmony Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: C to the E to the R to the N - will rock you in the head.

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use