The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Embrio Unicycle/Motorcycle combo dealy

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Josh Baltzell

Nickname: jbaltzell

Josh Baltzell is an ASP.NET and ASP Programmer learning all he can about all.
Embrio Unicycle/Motorcycle combo dealy Posted: Nov 29, 2003 11:38 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Josh Baltzell.
Original Post: Embrio Unicycle/Motorcycle combo dealy
Feed Title: ShortDomainName.com
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Weblog of Josh Baltzell. Focusing on the computer industry and .NET programming related news. I like to get involved on the discussions wherever they are.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Josh Baltzell
Latest Posts From ShortDomainName.com

Advertisement

Wired has an article about the not-yet-prototype ”...still in the advanced concept phase of development.” Embrio concept vehicle.  I have a few problems with this idea.  There is just no business model for it as far as I can see.

Assumptions about the future (I really don't believe these, but let's just pretend)

1. People want personal transport devices to commute more efficiently to work.
  2. These people are city dwellers sick of traffic congestion.

If they buy this device what benefit do they get?  Are their any cities that can handle vehicles that have a top speed of 35 MPH?  That logically means you can't use them on a road and you can't use them on a sidewalk.  I think that is a deal breaker don't you?  At least the Segway is a device that can be used with existing infrastructure.

So then, what are the real problems with these personal transports?

1. Price.  Not many people can afford to pay the price of a Segway and I would wager that this new Embrio if it ever comes out would be comparable or more likely more expensive.
  2. Competition.  You can go to a thrift store and buy a bike for $10.  The only emissions of the bike come out of the rider (I won't go any farther on that statement).  Then again, I am American and I don't want to put any effort in to my travel.  How am I supposed to drink my Vente Mocha Pumpkin Spice Latte with extra foam while I am on my morning conference call on my cell phone while I ride a bike?
  3. Marketing.  These products seem to be designed for a western person's wallet when the real need seems to be in the east.  Every time I see something on TV about an Asian city I see the streets filled with people on foot and riding bikes, but very few cars.  More so in China than elsewhere I am sure that very few people could come off the coin for something that costs $6000USD, so we are back to price.

I feel like these devices need to be designed for the consumers in need, not for some mystical future this company is trying to invent for us.  Perfect the process and design and then make it as cheap as possible.  Make factories as efficient as possible (Move them to China if they are not already there) and start selling in the East.  All the cool useful stuff that starts there ends up here anyway.  Above all else make these devices truly functional and useful.  We need these devices to actually work with what we have in place.  If we are going to invest in infrastructure let's set up a tube system Futurama style instead.  [READ]

Read: Embrio Unicycle/Motorcycle combo dealy

Topic: "Interactive Tabular Data" Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How to combat personal Internet use at work

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use