The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Professional Praise

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jonathan Dodds

Nickname: jrdodds

Jonathan Dodds is a software engineer (among other things.)
Professional Praise Posted: Apr 6, 2008 9:20 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Jonathan Dodds.
Original Post: Professional Praise
Feed Title: constructive nonconformist
Feed URL: http://jrdodds.blogs.com/blog/index.rdf
Feed Description: Software engineering and other topics.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Jonathan Dodds
Latest Posts From constructive nonconformist

Advertisement

Here’s a story:

I’m working as an in-house software engineer for Nameless Big Co creating software for internal use.

I’m at an all-hands meeting for my business unit group. A very important person in a nice expensive suit is at the podium. Apparently we’re honored to have him come and speak to us. What he has to say is engaging until he gets to a certain point.

He tells us he’s had a career in financial services IT and we’re the best and brightest IT organization he has ever worked with. I think of the inefficiencies and poor decisions we deal with every day. It’s normal stuff for a large organization and for a software development management chain heavy on MBA’s. I don’t think we’re more clever than average.

Why is Mr. VIP laying on the superlatives? Is he out of touch? Is he measuring differently? Is he just trying to be a cheerleader? Is he marketing to us?

Striving to be the best and the brightest is incompatible with being uncritical enough to accept his hyperbole. I tune out. He’s pushing more noise than signal.

Here’s a second story:

The lead architect has moved some of my code from a particular project down into a core library so he could use it on another project. “You saved me a lot of time.” He tells me. “You did some good work on that project and I want to leverage it across the other projects.”

Here’s a guy whose technical chops I respect and he found my code useful. It’s a small thing but it made my day.

Peer praise is meaningful.

Read: Professional Praise

Topic: I Am Not Internet Service Provider! - A Look at Trust on the Web Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How To Purchase Dell Computers Without Windows Vista & Microsoft Software

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use