The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
iPhone SDK and More Questions

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jonathan Dodds

Nickname: jrdodds

Jonathan Dodds is a software engineer (among other things.)
iPhone SDK and More Questions Posted: Mar 7, 2008 11:18 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Jonathan Dodds.
Original Post: iPhone SDK and More Questions
Feed Title: constructive nonconformist
Feed URL: http://jrdodds.blogs.com/blog/index.rdf
Feed Description: Software engineering and other topics.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Jonathan Dodds
Latest Posts From constructive nonconformist

Advertisement

John Gruber has posted More Questions on his Daring Fireball blog about the iPhone SDK. I can answer one of his questions.

• So it seems like the answer to my question yesterday about how users will be prevented from running apps downloaded directly from developers (rather than through the App Store) is that unsigned apps will only work on your iPhone if you pay (and get approved) for a $99 iPhone developer account. But does that mean that approved developers will be able to freely exchange unsigned apps with each other?

An unsigned app will not run on an iPhone at all.1 The only place an unsigned iPhone OS application will run is on the simulator.

I doubt that the barrier for the $99 iPhone developer program is higher than for other types of code signing certificates. The iPhone code signing certs are issued to either individuals or organizations. Apple’s approval for the App Store will be on a application by application basis.

If you as a developer get an application or two approved for the App Store and it later turns that you’re breaking Apple’s rules, it seems safe to presume that one of Apple’s possible recourses is to revoke your certificate and all your (as in signed with your cert) iPhone OS applications will stop working.

1 iPhone OS Programming Guide: Working with a Device

Read: iPhone SDK and More Questions

Topic: Is IP Address Validation of Trackbacks Fraught With Dangers (Large False Positives)? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Do I Know How To Hack MySpace?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use