The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Radio 4 snippets

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Stuart Langridge

Nickname: aquarius

Stuart Langridge is a web, JavaScript, and Python hacker, and sometimes all three at once.
Radio 4 snippets Posted: Nov 20, 2003 10:22 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Stuart Langridge.
Original Post: Radio 4 snippets
Feed Title: as days pass by
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kryogenix
Feed Description: scratched tallies on the prison wall
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Stuart Langridge
Latest Posts From as days pass by

Advertisement

Verity Marriott, a sixth-former from a North London comprehensive school, is organising a set of "school strikes" -- walkouts from schools across London in order to participate in an anti-war (or anti-Bush, depending on who you are) demonstration. She was interviewed on the Today programme last week. It's good that she got a chance to put her view. However, both the R4 interviewer, and someone from the education system (from an LEA, I think) were appallingly patronising to her. Constantly repeating a cant about how it's just purely truancy, and doing everything short of patting her on the head and saying "run along now, little kiddie". I remember burning with a blue flame of rage at being so dismissed when I was that age. It was a shame that Ms Marriott wasn't slightly better primed for the interview; I'd have expected her to note that if this counts as unauthorised attendance then working strikes are exactly the same. The group are obviously conscious of this parallel, given that they're referring to "school strikes", but they failed to make it explicit, which I felt was a shame. In later news reports, comments on the strikes included one man claiming that it was completely ridiculous, opining "my dog will want to be on a protest march next". Yes, that's the best way to teach young adults to think; compare them to dumb animals. No wonder there's so much teenage resentment. One teacher suggested that she would let students attend the marches as long as they wrote up a report on it afterwards; essentially co-opting the strikes as a kind of school trip. That struck a reasonable balance between outright permissiveness and overbearing patronisation, I thought.

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue is back on! Hooray! And you can download the most recent episode through the BBC's excellent Listen Again scheme. I just wish I had a digital radio in the car so I could get BBC7 and listen to comedy all the time.

An appalling moment for web usability on the Today programme this morning, as James Naughtie explained that lots of people were attempting to view the pictures from Today's 6am picture competition. He pointed out that to get to the images you simply click the big picture in the middle of the Today homepage, and then followed up with "It's obvious really, isn't it?" No, James, obviously it isn't. If you have to explain how to find something on a website, you've already lost. And Auntie Beeb are normally pretty good at web usability...

Giles Wemmbley-Hogg (two Ms, two Gs), the fictional "upper-class twit" in Radio 4's Giles Wemmbley-Hogg Goes Off, is reasonably funny (although very cringeworthy), but I am thoroughly offended that they decided to make this useless posturing snob moron attend the university of Durham! It's not like that, really. Really!

Read: Radio 4 snippets

Topic: New Java Update for OS X Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Little things

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use