The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Numb

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jonathan Dodds

Nickname: jrdodds

Jonathan Dodds is a software engineer (among other things.)
Numb Posted: Dec 5, 2007 9:33 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Jonathan Dodds.
Original Post: Numb
Feed Title: constructive nonconformist
Feed URL: http://jrdodds.blogs.com/blog/index.rdf
Feed Description: Software engineering and other topics.
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Jonathan Dodds
Latest Posts From constructive nonconformist

Advertisement

Reg asks “Does your employer’s wilful ignorance of software development principles piss you off?” A commenter writes that instead of getting angry he’s become numb.

I know many smart people who have done just that - become numb. They work without joy. It’s just a job. They check off each requirement and meet the letter of each spec. If you step back, look at the big picture, and suggest an alternate approach that would better meet the business need, they’ll agree that it’s better and shrug and say “but it’s not in the spec.”

I’d might be better off. It’s probably a character flaw. I haven’t gone numb. I have passion and a sense of professionalism that’s independent of any company’s performance review.

Someone once told me that every workplace is crazy; the trick is to find a place that matches your kind of crazy.

Read: Numb

Topic: Vancouver Ajax & Web 2.0 Forum/Mailing List Welcomes 100th Member Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How To Use Shared Memory in PHP

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use